#CYPROUD: Gabrielle Carbajal, Kinesiology

Student success comes in many different forms, and Cypress College is proud to recognize and celebrate the variety of paths our students take to achieve their dreams. Whether it’s transferring to a four-year institution, or receiving an associate degree or certificate and heading into the workforce, we want all of our students to know we are on this educational journey with them and are pleased to feature distinguished #CYProud students for 2018.

Gabrielle Carbajal

Gabrielle was a kinesiology major who will continue her studies at Humboldt State University while playing for their basketball team. Always an athlete, Gabrielle’s love for basketball brought her to Cypress College to play for Women’s Basketball Coach Margaret Mohr. Gabrielle aspires to become a physical education teacher and basketball coach herself.

Please tell us a little about yourself. Where did you grow up? What are your interests? What is your story?

I grew up in Garden Grove, CA and attended Rancho Alamitos High School. During high school, I was a tri-sport athlete participating on the cross country, basketball, and track teams. I have a strong passion for basketball, and I invest most of my time in improving my skills and focusing on school. In my free time, I like to read, write, and spend time with family and friends.

Why did you choose Cypress College?

I chose Cypress College because of the women’s basketball program and its strong academic reputation.

What have you been involved in at Cypress College? How has your path unfolded?
The women’s basketball program at Cypress College has had the greatest impact on my life. I not only grew as a basketball player, but as an individual as well.

What are you most passionate about? Why?

I am most passionate about sports because my family members are sport fanatics. Also, I have a strong passion for reading, writing, and photography.

Who are the faculty and staff that have helped you get where you are today?

The women’s basketball coaching staff at Cypress College has positively influenced my life by helping me achieve in the classroom and on the court. The Kinesiology Department has guided me academically as well.

What are your immediate plans after completing your studies at Cypress College (at your transfer institution, in the workforce, etc.)?

After studying at Cypress College, I plan on transferring to Humboldt State University to further my basketball and academic career.

What are your long-term goals? What do you aspire to?

My long-term goal is to be a physical education teacher and a basketball coach.

What are you most proud of?

I am most proud of being the first in my family to graduate from college. I am also proud of my academic and basketball achievements at Cypress College.

What one bit of advice would you give to current and future Cypress College students?

Believe in yourself.

Is there anything else you’d like to share?

Thank you, Cypress College, for the best two years of my life. I will forever cherish the memories made.

%d bloggers like this: