The Cypress College Mortuary Science Program prepares the students to take the following exams:
- National Board Examination
- California Embalmers Examination
- California Funeral Directors Examination
National Board Exam (required for graduation from Cypress College)
- Students must complete ASMS (Associate in Science Mortuary Science)
- Cost is approximately $500
- The NBE is a component of licensure in most states.
California Embalmers Written Exam (required for licensure in California)
- Students must have graduated from an accredited American Board of Funeral Service Education Mortuary Science Program
- Cost is approximately $200
- Passing this Exam is a step toward licensure as an Embalmer in California
- In addition to passing the exam, it is required that a two-year apprenticeship (working full-time in a funeral establishment) is served. Once the Bureau process has been initiated (either by the test or the registration form for apprenticeship) the student has a 6-year time frame to complete the requirements for licensure. This license allows an embalmer to prepare dead human remains for disposition.
California Funeral Directors Written Exam (required for licensure in California)
- This exam requires completion of an associate degree or its equivalent.
- Passing this Exam is the first step toward Licensure as a Funeral Director
- This license allows funeral directors to work with families, not embalm bodies.
- Cost is approximately $350
If you have any additional questions, please call the Mortuary Science Department at (714) 484-7278 or email email@example.com.