ACCT 101: Financial Accounting
A course in beginning accounting, meeting transfer requirements to four-year colleges and universities providing a foundation for vocational accounting or other areas of business administration. The course describes and illustrates financial accounting principles including classification of accounts, recording of financial transactions, presentation of financial statements, and fundamentals of the accounting cycle as applied to service and merchandising enterprises.
To be successful in completing this course, students should have completed, at a minimum, College Algebra.
There are two types of hybrid classes:
- Day classes are two thirds in-person and one third virtual. The class meets on campus twice a week for two hours. The class meetings will include mini-lectures, group activities, and demonstrations. Students must be prepared to be able to engage in the active learning that will take place.
- Evening classes meet once a week for two hours, either on campus or virtually. The majority of the work is done online and the class meetings are designed to clarify, discuss, question, etc. concepts, theories, and procedures that the student has learned online. Students will work in groups throughout the term. All three chapter exams and the final exam will be administered on campus during regularly scheduled meetings.
STUDENTS TRANSFERRING TO CSF
For this course to transfer to California State University, Fullerton, ACCT 103 Computerized Accounting must also be taken--but it does not have to be taken concurrent with ACCT 101.
- Textbook: Kimmel, Paul D., et.al., Financial Accounting: Tools for Business Decision Making,5th ed., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., including
- ISBN; 9781118760222, a paper back copy package with access code at the Cypress College Bookstore. (Buying the text somewhere other than the bookstore will not necessarily include both of the above items/)
- If you purchase the textbook somewhere else, you must still purchase the access code for Wiley Plus.
- If you plan to take Managerial Accounting (ACCT 102C) at Cypress College, you may purchase a combined textbook package for the two semesters, ISBN 9781118780640.
- Scantron Forms (#882) for all chapter exams and the final exam.
Homework will be assigned on every chapter. To completely comprehend accounting, practical experience is mandatory. (Accounting is not a spectator sport!!)