This course investigates how and where healthcare is delivered in the United States. Current issues affecting the delivery of healthcare are emphasized including; legal issues, financing, federal and state regulations and the impact of current healthcare reform.
- The history and development of modern healthcare in the U.S. Comparing the United States with international health delivery systems.
- Origins and development of hospitals
- Delivery of ambulatory services; outpatient care, long term care, tertiary, and palliataive care
- Financing healthcare services, insurances and managed care
- Legal and ethical issues affecting healthcare delivery
- The culture of healthcare and health professionals education and practice
- Healthcare reform, public health informatics, HIPAA, and HITECH requirements