Math 142 Trigonometry Online/Math 142 Trigonometry
Did you ever want to build a skateboard ramp whose incline was exactly 12 degrees? Well Trigonometry can help you determine the measurements you need to cut the wood to build your perfect ramp!
Maybe you want to know which direction to point your airplane as it flies through the skies, to compensate for the wind so that you end up at your dream destination. Trigonometry comes to the rescue and teaches you how to plan your next flight!
Trigonometry helps us understand how the world works in a very physical way through analyzing angles, triangles, and vectors. You will learn to solve equations and application problems, create and analyze intricate graphs of all the Trigonometric Functions, and work with complex numbers, polar coordinates and parametric equations. It is also where you will learn techniques of trigonometric proof, and get prepared for taking more advanced classes such as Calculus I and Physics.
Math 141 College Algebra, with grade C or better. Equivalent courses: Pre-Calculus, or high school Math Analysis.
- Textbook: Trigonometry, tenth edition, by Lial, Hornsby, Schneider. Hardcopy textbook is optional as the eBook is included with your MyMathLab access.
- Materials Needed: Pencil, paper, graph paper, textbook, scientific calculator, protractor.
- Computer Skills: To successfully complete this course you will be using many different online technologies:
- Web browser (recommended browser is Firefox, with Pop Ups enabled).
- Blackboard course management system
- MyMathLab course management system
- Document handlers like Word, Open Office, Adobe Reader
- Study Skills: Students who enroll in this online course need to have the self-motivation and discipline required to work consistently through the instructional video lessons, take notes, as well as keep up with their homework assignments, online quizzes, and group projects. Additionally all students in this course will take their exams on campus with their instructor. Be advised that while an online course does offer some flexibility of schedule, it takes at least as much prep and study time as a traditional class.
On Campus Meetings
While this is an online class, there are seven required in-person meetings: the Orientation Meeting, a Group Project day, four Exams and the Final Exam. All meetings are on the same day of the week and the exact dates are listed in the Class Schedule found on the Schedule and Catalog tab of the Cypress College home page.
Blackboard Course Site
Blackboard is your main access point for all the lecture and learning materials required for this course. To enter our course:
- Go to cypresscollege.blackboard.com
- Enter Your User Name: Your Cypress College student ID, including the “@” sign and beginning zeros.
- Enter Your Password: The password is the same password you self-selected in myGateway.
- Click Login
- Under “My Courses.” click the course title: Math 142 to enter the class website.
Math 142 Links
- DE Readiness Quiz Take this short online quiz to see if you are ready for the demands of a Distance Education class.
- DE Computer Requirements Learn about what equipment and software you need to take a Distance Education class.
- MyMathLab is where you will do homework, take quizzes and get online help learning all the Trigonometry concepts needed to be successful in our class..
- Answers to Even Problems You can get extra practice by solving the even problems in your textbook.
Math 150A Calculus 1
Calculus is where your study of upper level mathematics really begins. It is a very demanding and yet very rewarding course where you will learn to approach math in a new, more mature, and meaningful way. I am really excited to be your guide on this fantastic exploration.