Study Guide for Exam III
Chapters 9, 10, 11
Chapter 9: Homicide
- What is the definition of homicide, infanticide, eldercide, patricide, matricide, intimate femicide, and genocide?
- What is the relationship between victim and alcohol in regards to homicide?
- Who is more likely commit homicide; males or female, younger or older, minority or non-minority, stranger or non-stranger?
- What is the relationship between firearms and the rate of homicide?
- What is the result of a mushroom shootings?
- How is race impacted in regards to the offender/victim relationship?
- How does victim prescription factor in the non-stranger incidents of homicide?
- What is meant by situated transactions? What are the phases of interaction in these incidents?
- What is the explanation or rationale for the routine activities/lifestyle model in regards to homicide?
- What is the explanation or rationale for the Social Learning Model in regards to homicide?
- Define Differential Association Theory.
- Define Differential Identification Theory.
Chapter 10: Victimization at Work and School
- From a routine activities perspective, explain the importance of the following three factors: a suitable target, a motivated offender, and an absence of guardians.
- What is meant by “going postal”?
- Why is it important to be “on duty” in order for the incident to be considered violence in the workplace?
- What is the likelihood that violence in the workplace will involve a male, weapon, or minority vs. non-minority?
- What is the result of incidents outside the workplace spilling onto the job?
- What are the characteristics of Type 1, Type 2, and Type 3 forms of workplace violence?
- What is the Safety and Health Act of 1970? What are the results in respect to employers and supervisors duties?
- What are the elements for establishing the following; negligent hiring, negligent retention, negligent training, negligent security, and third party lawsuits?
- What is school violence?
- Which grade levels, sex, ethnic group are more likely to have offenders of school violence?
- How prevalent is school violence compared to other forms of violence in society?
- In regards to school violence, explain the results if the following: fear, avoidance, and self-protection?
- What is sexual harassment?
- What is a hostile work environment?
- What is quid pro quo harassment?
Chapter 11: Victim Rights
- What is the primary reason for the passage of the Victims Rights Amendment?
- What are the protections for victim under the Federal Victim Crime Bill of Rights?
- What is the effect of the Victim Impact Statement on the criminal justice system?
- What are the pros and cons of the dispute resolution programs?
- What is the goal of “restorative justice”?
- Which easier to access, material loss or non-material loss for victims?
1.) Provide an argument for or against the importance of having Victim Impact Statements in the court proceedings.
2.) Provide a definition of Quid pro quo harassment or hostile work environment and a appropriate intervention strategy on behalf of the victim.
Part I is worth 50 points
Introduction to Victimology
Instructor: Virgil Adams, III MA
Double space typed, 3-5 pages typewritten only.
1.Any topic that has been discussed during lecture regarding Victimization, including the chapters in the text not lectured on to date.
2.Discuss the aspects of Victimology in regards to the following:
a.Impact on the Victim
b.Impact on the family
c.Characteristics of perpetrators
d.Goals for counseling as a intervention strategy for this specific form of victimization.
e.Societal changes of future trends to reduce or eliminate further victimization.
Part II is worth 50 points
Personal Mission Statement
The following components should be discussed in your version of the mission statement.
1.State your chosen vocation or profession.
2.State the population you serve in the performance of your duties.
3. State the core values that will be expressed as you serve.
4.As you complete your duties, how will you know that you have been successful toward making a difference based on the outcomes of service?
The mission statement has no limitations on length, but should expres the following;
Originality and Personal Application
For examples, see the links on myGateway for HUSR 271 course page.