Study Guide for Exam II
Chapter 5: Asian and Pacific Islanders
- What were the early experencies for the Asian immigrants?
- What is the impact of being labeled the “Model Minority”?
- Which states have the largest Asian populations currently?
- What is the importance of maintaining the native languages for this group?
- What were the Stereotypes or labels attributed to this group?
- What was the impact of being contract laborers and being in the lower social economic class?
- What aspect of their culture is lost by becoming “Americanized”?
- Who were the Nisei and the Issei?
- What was the impact or purpose of internment camps?
- What relationship did early Asian immigrants have with the government system based on their homeland experiences?
- What social functions do gangs provide for this cultures youth?
- As a result of relationship this group has with the criminal justice system crime is over reported or under reported?
Chapter 6: Middle Eastern Americans
- What is the importance of religion to this culture?
- hate crime
- Authoritarian personality traits
- What is the rate of victimization for this culture?
- How is this group usually protrayed in the media?
- What are the stereotypes or labels for this group?
- What are the characteristics of the:
- Mission hate offender
- Reactive hate offender
- Extremist hate offender
- Thrill Seeking hate offender
Chapter 7: The Criminal Justice System
- What is the impact of “Education” for individuals seeking understanding of cultural diversity?
- Are Women adequately represented in law enforcement?
- What are the traits of an effective listener?
- What is proxemics?
- Methods of appropriate verbal and non verbal communication?
- What is the value of being versed in a second language for law enforcement?
- What is the purpose and goals of Community Policing?
Chapter 8: Measuring Crime
- What is the Uniform Crime Report?
- What is the National Incident Based Reporting System?
- What is the National Crime Victimization Survey?
- What are the positives and negative applications for each of the above?
Essay: To be announced in class during the review.