Cypress College Campus Safety
Tips on Safety
Please assist the Campus Safety Department in maintaining a safe environment by noting the following:
Report all suspicious behavior to the Campus Safety Department @ 484-7387.
Red emergency telephones are on every floor in each building located for the most part, near the elevators. Emergency telephones are also located in outside location:
- Fine Arts - north side
- Theater- west side
- Business - west side
- Student Activities at the main entrance
- Gym II - southeast corner
- SEM - east side,
- TE III - south side,
- Adjacent to the north soccer field
- Lot 9 - entrance near College Circle Drive
- Track and field area
Safety on Campus:
- You can reduce the chances of becoming a victim. Criminals often look for unsuspecting victims. It's up to you to reduce their window of opportunity.
- Don't assume you and your belongings are safe because you are on campus.
- When you arrive on campus, remember to secure your vehicle and remove your keys.
- While walking on campus, have at least one hand free and avoid isolated areas. Be alert and aware of your surroundings at all times, paying attention to the people near and around you.
- Always walk with confidence and at a steady pace. Scan the area while walking and develop a plan of action in your mind should a stranger approach you. Always pay attention to your intuition; if you think a situation is unsafe, it may very well be.
- Crime occurs during the daytime hours as well as at night. Do not let your guard down just because it's daylight.
- Protect your personal belongings at all times. Do not leave your property unattended while on campus. Do not leave personal items in plain view in your vehicle.
When leaving campus:
- Use the buddy system - walk with other employees or students when going to your vehicle, or you may request an escort from the Campus Safety Office.
- You may also request an escort if you have to wait for a ride. The officer will stand by until your ride arrives.
- Walk in well-traveled and well-lighted areas and stay away from isolated areas.
- Don't have your hands full. Have your keys in your hand and whenever possible, carry books or personal items in a backpack or briefcase.
- Before entering your vehicle, look underneath, inside, and in the backseat. Enter your car and lock all your doors. If you believe someone is following you, blow your horn to get the attention of someone or drive to a police station or other public place where people are around and again, blow your horn.
- If you have a cell phone, call for police assistance and provide a license plate number, vehicle description, and a description of the subject(s).
- Cypress Police can be reached by calling (714) 229-6600. Please provide a detailed description of the individual and the vehicle.
If you are the victim of a crime, report it immediately to the Campus Safety Department.
Remember, by reporting all suspicious behavior, you may prevent someone else from becoming a victim.
Thank you for your assistance.