Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What programs do you offer?

A. We offer Certificates and Associate of Science Degrees in Culinary Arts, Food and Beverage Management, Hospitality Management and Baking and Pastry. Specific program requirements can be found in the Cypress College Catalog.

Classes are sequenced for students to take the lower numbered courses before the higher numbered courses. For a successful start, it is recommended that students start with HRC 101 C Introduction to Hospitality Careers and HRC 120 C Sanitation and Safety in their first semester.

Q. How much does the program cost?

A. HRC courses have the same enrollment fees as any other Cypress College course, currently $46 per unit. All HRC courses are three units each. A full-time student takes 12 or more units. Financial Aid is available for qualified students.

Culinary lab courses require an additional fee of $50-$95 per lab course per semester. Additionally, once you enroll in your first culinary lab course you will be required to purchase a Cypress College Culinary uniform and complete knife set which costs approximately $280. Your chef instructor will have complete details and ordering information on the first day.

HRC courses also require textbooks to be purchased. Required text information will be provided by the instructor at the beginning of each class and are available for purchase at the Cypress College bookstore.

Q. How do I get started?

  • Fall Semester (classes starting in August) = March
  • Spring Semester (classes starting in February) = October
  • Take the Cypress College English and Math Placement exams.
  • Please note: All HRC classes require eligibility for  ENGL 60 or the ESL equivalent.

Q. Who do I contact for further information?

A. Schedule a Counseling appointment at (714) 484-7015. Ask for an available Hotel, Restaurant, Culinary Arts counselor.

Q. Where do I start to learn about Hospitality Management Bachelor Degree programs?

A. Visit the California State University Hospitality Management website to learn about hospitality management degree programs at 14 CSU campuses. Find information about scholarships, internships, and hospitality career opportunities.

Q. How do I know what classes to take?

A. Visit the website to identify Cypress College Hotel, Restaurant, Culinary Arts classes that transfer for university credit to your CSU of choice. Get started and see a counselor to create an educational master plan incorporating transferable HRC courses with required general education courses.

Q. Where do HRC students transfer?

A. The Cypress College Hotel, Restaurant, Culinary Arts program provides a strong partnership with local CSU hospitality management university programs. Many HRC students transfer with great success to:

Q. What other resources are available?

A. Visit the Cypress College Transfer Center for helpful resources to keep you on track.