The Jewel Keusder ESL Scholarship
The Jewel Keusder Memorial ESL Scholarship was founded in 1994 in tribute to the significant contribution made to the ESL Department by Jewel Keusder, a Reading and ESL instructor at Cypress College from 1976 to 1994. The first scholarship was awarded in the Spring of 1995. It is administered by the California Building Industry Foundation, a philanthropic organization of which Mrs. Keusder was a part.
Jewel Keusder, after seeing that the needs of second language students were not being met by the curriculum in place at the time, developed the ESL program at the college. Since then, the program has grown in the variety of course offerings as well as the number of second language students enrolled in classes which appropriately address their English development needs.
The scholarship is awarded once a year during the Spring semester to ESL students who have demonstrated excellence in their completion of advanced ESL courses as well as other courses on campus.
Previous Recipients of the Jewel Keusder ESL Scholarship
- 2015-2016 – Somang “Iosef” Sung
- 2014-2015 – Mr. Phong Le & Mr. Thuan “Chelsun” Tran
- 2013-2014 – Ms. Ngoc Do & Ms. Ngoc Nguyen
- 2012-2013 – Mr. Phuong Austin Nguyen
- 2011-2012 – Ms. Sunmi Lee
- 2010-2011 – Ms. Nicole Carlos & Ms. Chia-Lung Wu
- 2009-2010 – Ms. Huda Labanieh, Ms. Ying-Wei Lin, & Ms. Thuy Anh Nguyen
- 2008-2009 – Ms. Dung Thai
- 2007-2008 – Ms. Dana Dees, Ms. Carmen Fodoreanu, & Mr. Joshua Obidah
- 2006-2007 – Ms. Shu Chen, Ms. Angelica Rojo, & Ms. Da Thoa Truong
- 2005-2006 – Ms. Bixia Loi & Mr. Naydn Kim
- 2004-2005 – Mr. Jiang Bian, Ms. Nancy Hoang, & Ms. Lesly Perez
- 2003-2004 – Ms. Carolina Narajano & Ms. Siranya Stamm
- 2001-2002 – Ms. Mei Ling Hsu
- 2000-2001 – Ms. Minoo Amani & Ms. Maria Karol Manaloto
- 1999-2000 – Ms. Lee Fizer & Ms. Trinh (Annie) Ha
- 1998-1999 – Ms. Juliana Stingaciu
- 1997-1998 – Mr. Phong Nguyen & Ms. Emilia Prado
- 1996-1997 – Ms. Najwa Abouziki & Ms. Gloria Camacho
- 1995-1996 – Ms. Namyoung Park
- 1994-1995 – Ms. Sandra Baghdanous & Ms. Thuy Ton
To qualify for the scholarship, a student must meet the following criteria:
- The student must be currently enrolled in ESL 185 C or ESL 186 C.
- The student must have successfully completed at least one ESL core course at Cypress College.
- The student must continue his/her education at Cypress College or at another U.S. college.
The procedures for application are as follows:
- Complete an application (available from the Learning Resource Center, L/LRC 1st floor)
- Complete a double-spaced word processed paragraph of no more than one page in length on the assigned topic. The name and student ID number of the student should be in the upper right hand corner of the page.
- Ask two faculty members to complete the recommendation forms. One should be a current ESL instructor and the other a Cypress College instructor in a different department.
- Meet with the committee for an interview, if requested.