Cypress College provides free wireless access on campus. Every user must first go through a series of security checkpoints before internet access is available on your personal laptop. Ethernet cables are also available for check out from the Circulation counter. There are a few specific study carrels and group study rooms with live internet ports. See a librarian for assistance.
- Be sure your wireless card is turned on. Many laptops have a Wi-Fi toggle switch located around the edge of the laptop.
- Be sure your laptop is connecting to the Cypress College network. There is an airwave symbol located in the right-hand, bottom taskbar. Right click and select Cypress.
- The first time you access the wireless connection, you will be prompted to download a security policy key. Downloading the security key is required and you can either select “Run” or “Download”.
- The security process will verify you have current anti-virus software, current anti-spyware software, and automatic updates running.
- Once you have successfully run through the security process the first time, you should have easy access to the wireless network on each return visit.
Note Regarding Free Wireless Access
- Current students, faculty, and staff receive free Wi-Fi with authentication.
- Current students authenticate with myGateway ID and Password.
- Current faculty and staff authenticate with myGateway ID and password OR Campus Active Directory (AD) username and password.
- General Public/Guests
- Guests may request “Guest Access” to our Cypress Wi-Fi with the following limitations:
- Access is for two hours per request.
- Limited to two requests within a 7-day period.
- Campus Policy on “Guest Access” could change or be modified at any time.
What to Do if Your Laptop Has Been Quarantined for an Anti-virus Software Problem
- If you have an expired anti-virus software program loaded on your laptop, you will need to update the software before you can access the Cypress network. If you don’t want to have to purchase new software or renew your subscription, you can download AVG Anti-Virus software for free. Visit: free.avg.com
*Make sure you download the AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition and not the trial version. Also be sure you have removed or uninstalled any expired anti-virus software from your laptop.
What to Do if Your Laptop Has Been Quarantined for an Anti-spyware Problem
- Windows Defender comes already loaded on most laptops, but yours has probably been disabled. Go to your “Start Menu,” select “Programs,” and open “Windows Defender.” Enable the program and then try to access the internet.
- If Windows Defender is not already loaded on your laptop, download it. If you need access to the internet so you can download Windows Defender, see a librarian. Otherwise, access the internet from home or on another wireless network (e.g. Starbucks) to complete the download.
What to Do if You Have Current Symantec Anti-virus and Anti-spyware Software and You’re Still Quarantined
For some reason, the system cannot handle Symantec covering both the anti-virus and the anti-spyware features. You will need to enable Windows Defender or download Windows Defender if it is not on your laptop (see above). For more information, read the previous FAQ.