Helpful Websites & FAQs

Helpful Websites

On this page you will find a variety of websites that you may find useful in your path to becoming an educator.

  • Test Preparation – is a website that offers affordable test preparation programs for the CSET, CBEST, RICA, and others. Visit bobrowtest’s website to check out rates, locations, and dates of workshops available.
  • CSET– Visit to learn more about the CSET (California Subject Examination for Teachers).
  • CBEST – Visit to find out more information about the CBEST (California Basic Education Skills Test) test dates, registration, and more.
  • Teach California – is a website that provides information about teaching, the process of becoming a teacher, links to resources, and more.
  • Transfer to CSU – Visit to explore, plan and apply to any CSU campus.
  • Federal Financial Aid – If you are interested in financial aid, visit  to electronically submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  • Cypress College’s Financial Aid – Visit our Financial Aid web pages to gain more information about forms, grants, loans, and other aid that may be available to you.

Frequently Asked Questions

How is elementary school teaching, and middle or high school teaching different?

When teaching elementary school, most of the subjects are taught by the same teacher in one classroom. Elementary school teacher candidates will need to obtain a multiple-subject teaching credential, after receiving a bachelor’s degree from a college or university.

Single-subject teachers will teach one subject in which they are authorized to teach. These teachers will usually (not always) major in the subject they wish to teach. Then, they will need to complete a single-subject teaching credential that corresponds to the subject that is desired to be taught.

What do I need to do to prepare to become an Elementary School Teacher?

There are many steps involved in becoming an elementary school teacher. The Teacher Preparation Program at Cypress College has put the essential information you need to know about becoming an elementary school teacher.

What do I need to do to prepare to become a Single-Subject School Teacher?

Much like becoming an elementary school teacher, there are various steps involved in becoming a single-subject teacher.

What is the CBEST?

The CBEST stands for the California Basic Educational Skills Test. The CBEST is a series of tests that were developed to meet the requirements for credentialing and employment for teachers. There are three parts to the CBEST – reading, writing, and mathematics. The cost is $41, and there is only one test for all three sections. Please visit the CBEST website for more information.

Who must take the CBEST?

Anyone who is applying for a first teaching credential (single or multiple-subject), or services credential, or you are applying to a California Commission on Teacher Credentialing, or applying for an emergency teaching permit.

What does CSET stand for?

The CSET stands for the California Subject Examinations for Teachers.

Who takes the CSET?

Both multiple and single-subject teacher candidates must take and pass the CSET tests that correspond to what you want to teach. The fees for taking the CSET vary; for the multiple-subject CSETs, the cost is $70 per subtest (there are 3 in total). For single subject CSETs, the cost is $70 per subtest (the amount of tests varies by subject). Please visit the CSET website for more information.