Getting started with Zoom
This content on this page covers everything you need to start using Cypress College Zoom today.
- Set up your account
- Cypress College Zoom settings
- Download the Zoom desktop application
- Attend meetings
- Schedule meetings
- Prepare participants
- Run meetings
- Get assistance
SET UP YOUR ACCOUNT
Cypress College Zoom accounts are licensed and can host meetings up to 24 hours in duration, with up to 300 attendees.
Access Cypress College Zoom using your College credentials via http://cypresscollege-edu.zoom.us.
If you have used Zoom before and already have an account, you can move it to Cypress College Zoom. Your meetings will be carried over, you will be able to login with your Cypress College credentials, work more easily with others from Cypress College, and you will gain access to paid features, including 300 meeting attendees, and longer meetings.
- Login to your existing Zoom account
- Click Profile in the upper-left
- Find Sign-In Email and compare it with your entry in the Cypress College Directory
- If your email address in Zoom does not match your entry in the Cypress College Directory, press Edit to the right in Zoom and change your Zoom account’s email address to exactly match the directory
- Check your email for a confirmation message from Zoom and confirm the change to your account’s sign-in email address
- Sign out of your Zoom account
- Sign in with your Cypress College username and password to http://cypresscollege-edu.zoom.us.
- You will see a message noting that you’re signing into a different Zoom account; be sure to press Switch to the New Account
- You will see a message noting that your account role may be different; do not worry: all Cypress College Zoom accounts are created as licensed “Member” accounts with access to Zoom’s paid features
- Press I Acknowledge and Switch
- Check your email for a confirmation message from Zoom and press Switch to the new account or copy and paste the provided link to confirm
- Your Zoom account and data should all be migrated to Cypress College Zoom. Be sure to take a moment to double-check your account settings and any scheduled meetings.
CYPRESS COLLEGE ZOOM SETTINGS
Zoom has many settings and every Cypress Zoom account comes pre-configured with recommended settings for security and privacy.
This list highlights some of the settings that are used or asked about most often; this is not a comprehensive list of Zoom settings and much more detailed information is available in the Zoom Help Center.
For a more detailed breakdown and recommended settings for different contexts, review the account settings configuration.
|Settings||Default in Cypress Zoom||Notes||Additional Resources|
|Waiting room||Enabled for attendees without Cypress Zoom accounts||Waiting room|
|Audio & Video||Disabled for both host and participant||Individual attendees can turn their own cameras and microphones on/off as needed||Audio | Video|
|Screen sharing||Enabled for host only.||Enable for all participants (not recommended for classes or large events) or for individuals as-needed.|
|Whiteboard||Enabled, auto-saved.||Sharing a whiteboard|
|Meeting reactions||Enabled||Meeting reactions|
|Join before host||Disabled||Enable to let participants start a meeting before you join/without you (not recommended for classes or public events).||Join before host|
|Chat||Enabled, participants cannot save.||Disable private chat to prevent participants chatting privately with one another; enable auto-saving chats to ensure the host has a copy of (public) chat logs (excludes private chat messages unless sent to the host).||In-meeting chat|
DOWNLOAD ZOOM DESKTOP APPLICATION
While you can use Zoom directly through popular web browsers (such as Firefox, Chrome, Safari, etc.), the desktop application is more reliable and is strongly recommended.
For the latest version of the Zoom desktop application, visit the Zoom Download Center.
If you have a Zoom meeting to attend, the person hosting the meeting should provide you with the meeting information. The host may give you a URL or a meeting ID number.
If you have a URL, simply visit that link to access the meeting. Depending on the host settings, you may be put into a waiting room until they let you into the meeting. You may also need a password. Check with the meeting host directly for more information.
You can schedule meetings ahead of time or start meetings instantly. If you are scheduling a meeting for a class, doing so through Canvas is highly recommended as this can make it easier for your students to find and join synchronous class sessions.
Provide your attendees the information they need ahead of time to help your meetings run smoothly, including:
- The right URL (or use the Canvas integration if your meeting is for a class)
- Whether or not you require registration
- Whether or not you require attendees to use Cypress College Zoom accounts
You can do several things to manage a meeting you are hosting while it is underway (links open to the Zoom Help Center):
For detailed guides from Zoom, visit the Zoom Help Center.
Do you have additional questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.