Are you interested in teaching an online or hybrid course at Cypress College? Enroll in the Faculty Basics Training Course!
Please note that you must be currently employed by Cypress College as a full-time or adjunct instructor during the training course.
Faculty Basics is an intense, instructor-led, 8-week hybrid course with two (2) mandatory in-person meetings with weekly deadlines. It is designed to help you explore how to teach online as effectively as you do in a campus-based classroom. Successfully completing Faculty Basics qualifies you to teach online and hybrid classes at Cypress College. This training includes 20 competencies which must be completed by specific deadlines. All work must be completed during the 8-week timeframe. Approximate time investment is 10 to 25 hours weekly. Due to the intense content, each cohort is limited to 15 participants.
- Training dates to be determined.
- All deadlines will be strictly enforced due to limited resource availability.
- Individuals who enroll in the Faculty Basics training are required to register and complete all the prerequisites listed below before the class starts or will be dropped.
Faculty Basics Prerequisites
Please complete the following requirements before the first day of training. Submit your proof of completion to DistanceEd@CypressCollege.edu.
- Completion of the Web Enhanced Training
- Notify your dean and department coordinator that you are enrolling in the Faculty Basics training. Enrollment or completion of the training does not guarantee an online or hybrid course assignment.
- Design a DE Approved Syllabus – All syllabi must contain specific information. Please refer to the DE syllabus guidelines and requirements located on the campus network “J” drive in the Distance Education folder. Update your syllabus and submit it to DistanceEd@CypressCollege.edu.
- Obtain a Cypress College Email Address – All DE faculty must have an official Cypress College email. Please contact your dean to acquire a Cypress College email address.
- Setup Remote Access – All faculty must secure connection to the network to access DE applications.
- Create Faculty Home Page – Faculty must create an official, Cypress College-compliant faculty home page. A valid Cypress College email is required before you can create your page.
- Secure a DE Buddy – A DE Buddy (currently teaching) is certified to teach DE, has been teaching an online/hybrid course at Cypress College for at least one semester, a member in your discipline (preferred), well-respected, positive, critical and supportive. Your DE Buddy must be an experienced Blackboard user, be willing to share an online/hybrid course with you, provide practical tips and share his or her experiences to enhance your learning experience. Contact your dean for DE Buddy recommendations.
- Complete the online faculty self-assessment.
- Secure Priority Registration – If you will be teaching an online or hybrid course in the upcoming session, please ask your dean to email a request to add you as a priority registrants in Faculty Basics, because you will be teaching in the next semester. Instruct your Dean to email this request to Distance Education at: DistanceEd@CypressCollege.edu. Please note that individuals who are enrolled in the training and do not secure priority registration may be placed on a waitlist or may be required to enroll in an upcoming training to accommodate those who secure priority registration. Please note that there is a possibility that you could be “bumped” even after you have secured a spot in the training.
How to Enroll & Sign-Up
(If you are a new hire, you must have already been processed by NOCCCD Human Resources and entered in the Banner system to be eligible for enrollment)
Submit your enrollment request via the Distance Education ticket system. Please allow time to process your request. If you need assistance, please contact the Distance Education Office.
Distance Education Equivalency (Spring dates TBD)
Faculty seeking equivalency approval in lieu of completing the Cypress College Distance Education Faculty Basics training must meet the minimum requirements and follow the outline evaluation procedures to teach online and hybrid courses.
To be considered for the equivalency evaluation, you must meet the following requirements:
- Three years currently teaching online/hybrid courses using Blackboard Learn 9.1 or completed Blackboard training equivalent to Cypress College’s Faculty Basics training (i.e. @ONE) proof must be submitted
- Have a firm grasp of 508 accessibility requirements, and
- Demonstrate your online/hybrid teaching ability as set forth below
You will be required to participate in a face-to-face presentation with the Distance Education Evaluation Team, which will include your dean and department coordinator, online faculty, DE Dean and DE Coordinator. The evaluation normally takes about 30 minutes. During the evaluation, you will be required to perform the following four tasks:
- Deliver a presentation that demonstrates your mastery of the Blackboard Learn 9.1 environment
- Demonstrate proficiency in navigating in Blackboard by performing specific tasks that are dictated orally.
- Provide a walk-through by logging into a Blackboard online course site that you have previously taught.
- Demonstrate your understanding of accessibility requirements and create compliant Word, PDF and PowerPoint documents.
For more information, please contact the Distance Education Office at (714) 484-7052.
Please note, if you plan to complete the equivalency process, items 2 to 5 (see above) are required and must be completed before your equivalency appointment.