Phone: (714) 484-7278
Office Hours: 8-10 a.m. Monday, 1-3 p.m. Tuesday, 8-9:30 a.m. Thursday
Location: Mortuary Science Suites Technical Education 3 Building 13 Room 215B
About Professor Bower
I am a licensed funeral director, embalmer, crematory manager, cemetery manager and pre-need funeral insurance salesperson in the State of California, as well as a certified crematory operator through the Association of California Cremationists. I began my teaching career as a member of the faculty in the Mortuary Science Department in the Health Science Division in 1999.
I currently work at a local Orange County funeral home. I am also a member of the Program Committee and Curriculum Committee for the American Board of Funeral Service Education; and a Liaison of the Orange County Funeral Director’s Association Board of Directors.
- MORT 100 C Orientation to Funeral Service
- MORT 164 C Funeral Service Thanatology I
- MORT 262 C Embalming I
- MORT 274 C Funeral Service Thanatology II
- MORT 272 C Embalming II
- MORT 294 C Funeral Service Counseling
MORT 274 C Funeral Service Thanatology II
This is a continuation of Mortuary Science 164, with emphasis on the grief process, normal and abnormal, and the resolution of grief. Follow-up programs initiated by the funeral director are examined in detail as well as community support groups with whom the funeral director participates. Major emphasis is placed on the student identifying problem areas in the field, making a plan for intervention, and making appropriate referrals to community professionals.
Required Text Books
- Bower, Professor Glenn A., Mortuary Science 274 Funeral Service Thanatology II Course Lecture Outline, (Fall 2015 ed) (Required)
- Canine, John D, The Psychosocial Aspects of Death and Dying, ISBN: 978-0838580981 (Required, from Mort 164)
- Grollman, Rabbi Earl A., Living when A loved One has Died, (1st ed) ISBN: 978-0807027196 (Required)
- Klicker, Ralph, Funeral Service Psychology and Counseling, (1st ed) ISBN: 978-09647967374 (Required)
- Habenstein, Robert W., History of Funeral Directing, (8th ed) ISBN: 978-0615989402 (Recommended for Mort 160) available through www.nfda.org
- Leming, Michael A, Understanding Dying, Death and Bereavement, (7th ed) ISBN: 978-0495810186 (Required, from Mort 164)
- Worden, J. William, Grief Counseling and Grief Therapy (4th ed) ISBN: 978-0826101204 (Required, from Mort 164)
Resources for Success
- American Board of Funeral Service Education
- Cemetery and Funeral Bureau
- California Funeral Directors Association
- National Funeral Directors Association
- The International Conference of Funeral Service Examining Boards, Inc.
- Association of California Cremationists
- International Cemetery, Crematory and Funeral Association