This course covers linear equations, functions, finance, matrices, linear systems, linear programming, sets, counting techniques, and probability. Applications to various fields are also explored.
Math 40 or Math 41 or Algebra II with a grade of “C” or better and the assessment process.
Textbook. Finite Mathematics, Fourteenth Edition, by Barnett & Ziegler & Byleen. A hard copy textbook is optional as the e-book is included with your MyLab|Math access.
Materials Needed. Access to a printer, pencil, highlighter, paper, graph paper, textbook (or e-book), scientific calculator, TI-83 or TI-84 graphing calculator.
Computer Skills. To successfully complete this course, you will use several different online technologies:
- Web browser (recommended browser is Firefox, with Pop Ups enabled)
- Document handlers like Word, Open Office, Adobe Reader
Study Skills. Students who enroll in this online/hybrid course need to have the self-motivation and discipline required to work consistently through the instructional video lessons, take notes, as well as keep up with the book homework assignments and online quizzes. Additionally, all students in this course will be required to take the exams on campus with the instructor. Be advised that while an online/hybrid course does offer some flexibility of schedule, it takes at least as much prep and study time as a traditional class.
In-Class Meetings on Campus
The dates and times for the in-class meetings are listed in the Class Schedule, which can be found by going to the Schedule of Classes within the Cypress College website.
Canvas is the LMS used for this course and houses all of the announcements, video notes, instructional videos, and course content. To log in to Canvas:
- You can either go directly to Canvas to log in, or you can go to the Cypress College Website and click on the Canvas link at the top of the page.
- Sign in using your MyGateway ID and Password.
- MyLab|Math is where you will take online quizzes.
- DE Readiness Quiz Take this short online quiz to see if you are ready for the demands of a Distance Education class.
- Equipment Requirements and Obtaining Help
- Hardware/Software and Basic Skills Requirements Learn about what equipment and software you need to take a Distance Education class.
- Tips for Student Success in Web Based Courses: Find out some beneficial tips to help with student success.
- FAQs about Your Online Classroom