Jim Dedic, M.A., M.S.W.
About Professor Dedic
- B.A. California State University, Fullerton – Mathematics
- M.A. California State University, Fullerton – Sociology
- M.S.W. University of Southern California – Social Work
I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker and have served as a medical social worker for ten years in hospitals and skilled nursing facilities focusing on the elderly.
In addition to introductory sociology, my areas of specialization include aging, human sexuality, gender roles and relationships. I am the primary instructor for the Gerontology Certificate – Human Services Department.
My interest in Sociology started in college when I took an Introduction to Sociology course. I was drawn by the science of Sociology and by how little I as a math major understood about my own and other people’s behavior. That began a very rewarding and worthwhile journey for me in Sociology. I encourage you to consider such a journey for yourself in whatever field calls you.
Welcome to Cypress College and to the field of Sociology. Sociology is the scientific study of the social world around us and the social causes and consequences of human behavior. Since human behavior is primarily social, the subject matter of Sociology ranges widely. Sociology helps us to better understand the forces shaping our lives and to take charge of our own lives by making us more aware of our situation in society. We then make better life choices. May you find the freedom of the bigger, richer life that awaits through your education, awareness and participation. Choose well and live well.
These classes offer unique opportunities at Cypress College.
SOC/HUSR 250 C – Sociology of Aging
- Aging and the healthy body and mind
- Physical and mental health problems
- Health care systems and the elderly
- Social adjustment / coping strategies
- Aging, intimacy and sexuality
PSY/HUSR 255 C – Psychology of Aging
- Family dynamics and care giving
- Minorities and aging
- Living arrangement options
- Death and dying
- Retirement/Government programs
- Elder abuse