This course is designed to prepare students for English 60. It emphasizes a comprehensive approach to reading and writing including such topics as comprehension, vocabulary development, reading efficiency, and paragraph writing. This course is offered in the hybrid format. Hybrid courses combine online and in-person instruction. Hybrid students meet regularly in person and online.
Fast-Track English courses are compressed classes that meet for the same number of hours as a full-term class, but in a shorter period of time (eight weeks).
- As the instructor in this course I have some expectations of you as learners.
- Do the best that you can with the materials that are provided to you.
- Purchase all textbooks immediately.
- Keep up with the workload.
- Be present in the course. Don’t wait until the last minute to check on what’s due!
- Check the course almost every day!
- Langan, Ten Steps to Advancing College Reading Skills 5th ed.
- Nist, Improving Vocabulary Skills 4th ed.
- Albom, The Five People You Meet In Heaven
- Langan, English Brushup 5th ed
- Flash drive (must have by second class meeting)
- Pen, pencil, highlighters, and paper
You must be able to
- Use a computer
- Browse the web
- Send and receive email (with attachments)
- Use a word processing program (Microsoft Word)
- Work independently
It is important that students understand the nature of an online course and be prepared to be successful in this demanding environment. In addition to the technical skill requirements, students should also be self-motivated and able to manage their time well
To make sure you are ready for this hybrid course, please take the DE Readiness Quiz.
The online portion of this course is conducted through a website called Blackboard and is accessed through this web link/adress:
This web address is case and space sensitive. It will save you time if you bookmark this site (or put in your favorites) on your computer.
For a listing of all equipment requirements, please visit the DE Computer Requirements page.
Distance Education Website
Please visit the Cypress College Distance Education website for useful information about online courses including online policies and tips for success.Click on the link below to access this site.