Fall 2016: The Great California ShakeOut
The Great California ShakeOut — Fall 2016 Emergency Drill
Play the following video stream during the drill to view it in synchronization with the rest of the campus. A preview is available below on this page. If you experience any difficulty with the feed, you can participate live on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/user/CypressCC/live.
About the drill
Cypress College is participating in the Great California ShakeOut on Thursday, October 20, 2016. All members of the campus community will participate in the drill.
Two drills will be held, one at 10:20 a.m. and the second at 6:45 p.m. Nearly 10 million people statewide will participate in the morning drill. There will be no alarm to start the drill. An earthquake video will be synchronized for the campus to watch simultaneously shortly at the times list above. After watching the video, please review the talking points. There will be no evacuations this year.
Instructions and Resources
- The drill will commence at 10:20 a.m. on Thursday, October 20, 2016.
- The drill will be repeated at 6:45 p.m. on that date
- The drill will commence with a video broadcast on campus via the college’s website and over the P.A. system
- We ask that you play the video in your class
- The college’s logo will appear in the video beginning at 10 a.m. for the morning drill, and at 6:15 p.m. for the evening drill so that you will know that your video feed is functioning Following the video and review of the talking points (below), an evacuation will not be conducted
- Participation in the drill is required
- ShakeOut drill information, talking points, instructions, and maps
- Orange County Department of Education Emergency Preparedness Information
- Disaster Service Worker Information from OC Department of Education [View]
This is a preview. Please use the live feed at the top of the page during the drills.
Text Alerts and Emergency Notifications
Students are encouraged to utilize myGateway to update their personal information for text alert messaging in the event of an emergency. Students must provide their personal information in myGateway to receive these text notifications.
Follow these steps to verify that your cell phone and email address are entered and current:
- Sign into myGateway.
- Go to the “Personal Information” channel under the “Student” tab.
- Click on the item “Set Text Message Alert Preferences.”
- When clicking on “Set Text Message Alert Preferences,” the next screen will allow you to enter your cell phone information, the cellular service provider, the level of messages you wish to receive and the campus or campuses you want to be notified about.
- After entering your information, click on the “Submit” button.
Our experience has proven Twitter to be a reliable method of emergency communication. In addition to asking you to sign up for text messages (see above), please help out by signing up to follow the college on Twitter. You can do so by visiting twitter.com/CypressCollege and clicking on the “follow” button.