Fall 2014: The Great California ShakeOut
The Great California ShakeOut
For the fall 2014 emergency drill, Cypress College is among the record 10.4 million people who participated in The Great California ShakeOut. The drill took place at 10:16 a.m. on Thursday, October 16, 2014. Cypress College repeated the drill at 7:30 p.m. on October 16.
Your sincere efforts help prepare the Cypress College community to be ready for future incidents. While no amount of preparedness can ensure a successful outcome in an emergency situation, not taking these steps almost certainly guarantees failure. Not only is emergency preparation our responsibility, but it is also statutorily mandated.
In conjunction with the drill, a video was broadcast across campus for viewing. You can replay the video here. The video was broadcast across campus at the time of the drills.
- INSTRUCTIONS: Cypress College’s “The Great California ShakeOut” Drill Participation Information and Talking Points for Faculty
- Orange County Department of Education Emergency Preparedness Information
- Disaster Service Worker Information from OC Department of Education
Opt In for Text Alert Notifications
Students are encouraged to utilize myGateway to update their personal information and to “opt in” for text alert messaging in the event of an emergency. Students must complete the following steps to receive these text notifications because regulations prevent the college from automatically subscribing people.
We highly encourage our students to “opt in” to receive text alert messages.
Follow these steps to enroll:
- Sign into myGateway.
- Go to the “Personal Information” channel under the “Student” tab.
- Click on the item “Set Text Message Alert Preferences.”
- When clicking on “Set Text Message Alert Preferences,” the next screen will allow you to enter your cell phone information, the cellular service provider, the level of messages you wish to receive and the campus or campuses you want to be notified about.
- After entering your information, click on the “Submit” button.
Follow Us on Twitter
During the past couple of years, our experience has proven Twitter to be a reliable method of emergency communication. In addition to asking you to sign up for text messages (see above), please help out by signing up to follow the college on Twitter. You can do so by visiting twitter.com/CypressCollege and clicking on the “follow” button.