Career Connections and Events
Connect2Cypress feat. Majors2Careers Showcase
ACT ON YOUR INTERESTS!
– FEATURING –
- ACT ON YOUR INTERESTS WALK – What are YOUR RIASEC letters?
- EXPLORE CYPRESS COLLEGE MAJOR PATHWAYS
- CAREER DEVELOPMENT and DECISION MAKING ACTIVITIES
- ENJOY REFRESHMENTS and DRAWINGS
Cypress College is always working to ensure your educational experience is a positive one, and we endeavor to guide you on your path to success. At Connect2Cypress featuring Majors2Careers, you’ll have an opportunity to explore a variety of educational paths at the college that connect with hundreds of technical and professional careers.
Deans, faculty, staff, and students will be available at the Major Communities Resource Fair in Gateway Plaza to share information and answer questions about the various programs offered at the college.
Career planning staff and counselors will be available at the Majors2Careers Showcase in the Student Center to talk to you about your interests, walk you through career development and decision-making activities, and help you explore majors and the careers that they lead to.
The Cypress College Career Planning Center is dedicated to helping students make informed decisions about their future. Introducing our services and resources to the local middle schools, forming a partnership, and creating CAREER CONNECTIONS can help students:
- Acquire the skills to investigate the world of work in relation to knowledge of self and to make informed career decisions.
- Employ strategies to achieve future career success and satisfaction.
- Increase the likelihood of a positive response to the statement: “I know what career I want to pursue, and what I need to study in college to achieve my career goal.”
Informed and considered career decisions are linked to improved educational achievement, attainment, and efficiency. Students who make informed and considered career decisions are more likely to graduate from high school and to succeed in postsecondary education. Recent research indicates 9th Grade is a pivotal year for dropping out of high school, and career interventions that provide young adolescents with a developmental understanding of where they are at and what they are naturally interested in can motivate them to pursue meaningful work they care about.
Career exploration and career planning activities help students:
- Learn more about themselves, their interests and preferences.
- Gain decision-making skills and occupational knowledge.
- Focus on relevant exploration of their options so they can make informed and satisfying decisions.
- Engage in setting realistic career goals.
- Face and find solutions to educational and career barriers.
ACT, Inc. research indicates that students who engage in career exploration programs and/or Career & College Clubs:
- Report higher grades and feel better prepared for the future compared to students who do not.
- Develop a support network and learn where to go when help is needed.
- Have more confidence in themselves and are more motivated to achieve their goals.
- Are more likely to plan on taking a core curriculum in high school which puts them on a path to more likely enter college, be successful in the first year, and graduate in a timely way than students who do not.
Focus on personal development, including leadership skills and financial literacy which are critical workforce readiness skills.
Campus and Community Events
The Career Planning Center participates in campus and community events to highlight our quality services, provide presentations, and engage individuals in the Career Development Process.
- Charger Experience
- Donate-a-Day of Service
- Majors2Careers Showcase
- Pre-Grad Fair
- Strengths Workshops
- New Student Welcome Night