Presented by Cypress College President JoAnna Schilling, Ph.D.
on May 8, 2018
The college has been in thoroughly engaged in “end-of the-semester” events and we are enjoying seeing our students succeed and flourish. It’s a wonderful time of the year to acknowledge and celebrate their accomplishments!
- Our inaugural Pledge Night, held on both the Cypress and Fullerton campuses on May 2, was a fabulous success. At 4:30 when our registration began, there were lines around the building as eager students and parents came to enjoy our program tables, free food, and to get ready for the Pledge kickoff. We hosted over 800 students and their parents, opening an additional overflow room to accommodate everyone. Thanks to Dr. Marshall. Superintendent Mike Matsuda, Vice Chancellor Cherry Li-Bugg, and attendees from UCI AUHSD, and CSUF for supporting and attending this event.
- Thank you to Our CSEA colleagues who sponsored the annual CSEA Chapter Breakfast on May 8. Cypress College’s Melisa Barrios received an award acknowledging her outstanding service to the College and District. Congratulations, Melisa!
- Cypress College faculty members Ann Sheridan-Solis and Adel Rajab are being honored at the University of California, Irvine’s 13th Annual Educator Recognition Dinner and Awards Ceremony on May 22. Solis, Rajab, and other honorees were chosen by UCI’s most academically successful transfer students who identified the faculty member or counselor from their community college who played a critical role in their successful transfer to the university. Congratulations Ann and Adel!
- The Cypress Auto Technology Program added another acknowledgement to its growing list of accolades. Schools.com ranked our Auto Technology Program as the #4 program in the United States.! Congratulations to Dean Kathleen Reiland and her excellent faculty.
- On May 8 from 1-3 pm, the Transfer Center is hosting its annual Transfer Celebration to celebrate and recognize students who will be transferring to a four-year college or university in the fall. There will be food, certificates, and breakout sessions with local university representatives.
- Please join us on Friday, May 11 from 6-10 pm as the Media Arts Design Department presents its annual Cypress College Film Festival featuring student-submitted works.
- Our Veterans 5K on Friday, April 27 raised over $5,000 for our veterans and another $3,000 from the Cypress Women’s Assistance League who held their own fundraiser on Saturday, April 28 in support of our veterans. We appreciate the efforts of Mariellen Yarc, Cypress city councilwoman and Chair of our VRC capital campaign, for her support!
- On April 25, the college planted its fourth Peace Pole next to the Theatre Arts Building. This project, spearheaded by English faculty member, Ambika Talwar, is designed to promote peace, and proper ecologic stewardship of our environment. The peace poles are a wonderful way to promote our core values of collegiality and inclusiveness on campus.
- The Cypress College End-of-The-Year Luau was held on campus Thursday, May 3. Our retirees and colleagues celebrating their 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, and 40 year anniversaries with the District were honored.
- The Cypress College Women’s Softball Team started off the playoffs with two quick wins against Southwestern College 8-2 and 6-4. The Chargers enter the next round this Friday at 2 pm against Bakersfield. Go Chargers!
- On May 10, we will host the annual International Students Dinner as we both honor our students’ accomplishments and wish our graduating students well as they continue their academic journey.
- Schilling and Foundation Director, Gail Taylor, attended Service Night at Los Alamitos, celebrating and honoring our veterans.
- Schilling, Dr. Hua and our academic deans will be attending the Cypress Chamber Golf Tournament reception on May 9 at the Navy Golf Course in Los Alamitos. We have appreciated the Cypress Chamber on our campus since January and support their efforts in our community.
- Also on May 9, Dr. Schilling will be attending the annual Soroptimist Scholarship Awards presentation, honoring five of our EOPS students. We are grateful for the work this excellent organization does in support of our students.
That’s the Board Report from Cypress College. Buen Cypress!