- This event has passed.
V-A-R Suicide Prevention Training
19 Oct 2022 @ 12:00 pm - 1:30 pm
Our Active Minds Club, led by our Health Center, will provide a virtual training on suicide prevention and awareness on Wednesday October 19 from 12-1:30 p.m. This training will introduce tools to help you identify and assist anyone who may be struggling with a mental health challenge. This training will be led by an Active Minds speaker from the national organization.
The training is open to all Cypress College faculty, staff, and students. Register for the training here.
Showing up for someone who is struggling with their mental health is a powerful and important skill, but many of us don’t know what to say when someone shares. Validate-Appreciate-Refer (V-A-R) is Active Minds’ simple, revolutionary tool that empowers people to have meaningful conversations with those around them. Through this presentation, participants will be equipped to actively listen and effectively respond when someone lets them know they are having a hard time. A conversation can make all the difference and help prevent a crisis from developing later. Join Active Minds for an interactive and engaging conversation about mental health and gain tangible skills to promote a climate that is supportive of mental wellness.
By the end of this workshop, participants will:
- Understand the meaning and usage of the V-A-R tool.
- Identify at least three “barriers” we may have in place that may impede our willingness to engage with someone about their struggles.
- Explore circumstances that may impact mental wellness among our peers, colleagues, students, employees, family, friends, etc.
- Engage with current trends in mental health, based on data
- Discuss the value and importance of self-care as a critical component of mental health