Just a little over ten years ago on January 30, 2006, the Library/Learning Resource Center opened its doors for the first time.
The 62,500-square-foot building took two years to build and is the college’s first new construction in 40 years. The old library was located in the current Cypress College Complex. Students had to climb three flights of stairs to access most of the book collection.
The current L/LRC is a much more accommodating space. It’s also much more beautiful. Featuring reflective glass, stucco siding and a rotunda, the building departs somewhat from others on the campus; however, the sharp angles and inward-sloping roof provide a strong visual tie to existing structures. It has served as an architectural anchor for the campus, centering student life and activities around the pond.
Soon, given the passage Measure J, the L/LRC will undergo an expansion to provide for additional study space.
Services in the Learning Resource Center (first floor) are open 8 a.m.-8p.m., Monday-Friday. The Library (second floor) is open 8 a.m.-9 p.m., Monday-Thursday; 8 a.m.-6 p.m. and Friday and 11:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
Happy 10-year to our beautiful L/LRC — you’ve served us well over this last decade!
#Cypress College #Library #Learning Resource Center
Cypress College is recognized as one of the top community colleges in California.
Recent 2015-16 accolades include:
– #1 in the U.S. | Top Toyota T-TEN Auto-Tech Program in the Nation.
– #2 in C.A. | Top Two ESL & Basic Skills English Programs in California.
– #3 in C.A. | Ranked as a Top Three California Community College (Schools.com)
– #3 in the Region | Ranked Top Three in Greater Los Angeles & Orange County for Student Transfer and Graduation Rates (EdSmart.org)
– 15 of 113 | California Community Colleges piloting a Bachelor’s Degree (Mortuary Science)
– #17 in the U.S. | National Ranking on MTV-U’s website “Rate-My-Professor”
– Top National Licensure Exam Pass Rates | Perfect state licensure pass rates for students in the following programs: Dental Hygiene, Diagnostic Medical Sonography: Abdomen; Diagnostic Medical Sonography (OB/Gyn); Diagnostic Medical Sonography: Physics; and Mortuary Science: Sciences. 90+% state licensure exam pass rates for students in the following programs: Dental Assisting; Mortuary Science (Arts); Radiology Technology. And85%+ state licensure rates for students in: Health Information Technology; Nursing; and Psychiatric Technology.
– 2/3ds of the Class of 2015 qualified for transfer to a UC or CSU institution.
– 75 Orange Empire Athletics Conference Titles
– 25 California Community College Athletic Association State Championship Titles