Attorney Wayne T. Kistner is 2016 Outstanding Alumnus
Wayne T. Kistner’s record as an advocate for his clients and the community is clear. For 25 years, he’s served as counsel for private, non-profit, and public entities with appearances in courtrooms across Southern California. He has extensive private and court-appointed experience in mediation, collaborative conflict resolution processes, group facilitation, and association/organizational planning.
But, it is a connection to service that provides meaning for Kistner, who attended Cypress College in its formative years and has served as a member of the adjunct faculty in Human Services since 1999.
“Life has a way of going full circle as I was one of the early students in the newly created Human Services Department in 1973,” he said. “Part of my involvement in that program resulted in the establishment of a peer counseling program on campus and a directory of social service agencies, which would later serve as field work opportunities for students in the program.”
After completing his general education at Cypress College in Sociology and Human Services in 1975, Kistner transferred to California State University, Long Beach. There, he was President of the Law Society and graduated with his bachelor’s in 1978 as a member of the President’s Honor List. Kistner then enrolled at Southwestern University School of Law, completing his juris doctor in 1981.
“As Cypress College is approaching its 50th anniversary, I am proud to be among the ranks of the many outstanding alumni who have been enriched by Cypress College,” he said.
Cypress College is recognized as one of California’s top community colleges. Recent accolades include:
– #1 in the U.S. | Top Toyota T-TEN Auto-Tech Program in the Nation.
– #2 in C.A. | Top Two ESL & Basic Skills English Programs in California.
– #3 in C.A. | Ranked as a Top Three California Community College (Schools.com)
– #3 in the Region | Ranked Top Three in Greater Los Angeles & Orange County for Student Transfer and Graduation Rates (EdSmart.org)
– 15 of 113 | California Community Colleges piloting a Bachelor’s Degree (Mortuary Science)
– #17 in the U.S. | National Ranking on MTV-U’s website “Rate-My-Professor”
– Top National Licensure Exam Pass Rates | Perfect state licensure pass rates for students in the following programs: Dental Hygiene, Diagnostic Medical Sonography: Abdomen; Diagnostic Medical Sonography (OB/GYN); Diagnostic Medical Sonography: Physics; and Mortuary Science: Sciences. 90+% state licensure exam pass rates for students in the following programs: Dental Assisting; Mortuary Science (Arts); Radiology Technology. And 85%+ state licensure rates for students in: Health Information Technology; Nursing; and Psychiatric Technology.
– 2/3ds of the Class of 2015 qualified for transfer to a UC or CSU institution.
– 76 Orange Empire Athletics Conference Titles
– 25 California Community College Athletic Association State Championship Titles