#CYPossible: Roshni Chahwala, Radiologic Technology

Completing coursework calls for celebration, and we are proud to celebrate with Cypress College’s newest degree- and certificate-holders. By achieving these education goals, graduates and certificate-earners are equipped to continue on their college path or find strong footholds in the career fields they’ve chosen. We’ve taken the journey with these outstanding students, and know that when they look to the horizon, they see what is #CYPossible.

Roshni Chahwala

Roshni recently earned her certification in Radiologic Technology from Cypress College, and almost immediately got a job offer from Placentia-Linda Hospital’s Radiology Department; soon after, Kaiser Permanente gave her an additional job as an X-ray technologist. Roshni wants to continue growing in the radiology world, learn all she can, and further her education by achieving a bachelor’s degree that could move her into a management-level position. Roshni hopes to one day teach and train bright minds in the department of radiology.

Please tell us a little about yourself. Where did you grow up? What are your interests? What is your story?

I was born in New Jersey but grew up in California. I enjoy watching and playing sports, especially basketball. The beach, park, and anything outdoors is usually where you can find me the happiest.

Why did you choose to attend Cypress College and how did being a student here help you find your first position after completion?

I chose Cypress College because of its outstanding reputation as well as its credibility for the Radioglogic Technician program. I commuted over an hour to get to Cypress College and it was more than every good thing I heard. Because of the college’s reputation, I was able to find multiple employments as soon as I received my licenses for X-ray.

What were you involved in at Cypress College? How did your path unfold and who were the faculty and staff who have helped you along that path?

From Kelly Carter to Michael Frianeza to Lynn Mitts, everyone took their time to guide me to success.

What did you pursue after completing your studies at Cypress College (at your transfer institution, in the workforce, etc.) and where are you now?

After my studies, I received a job offer at Placentia-Linda Hospital in the Radiology Department. Shortly after that I received a job offer as an X-ray technologist at Kaiser Permanente. I am currently working at those two locations and went further to obtain my credentials in mammography.

What are your long-term goals? What do you aspire to?

I hope to continue growing in the radiology world, learn a lot and further my education in achieving my bachelor’s. One day, I hope to teach and train bright minds in the department of radiology. I also want to get my bachelor’s, to move into the management level of radiology.

What are you most passionate about? Why?

I’m the most passionate at being helpful and useful to others. Nothing is more gratifying than finishing a workday knowing you could have saved a life or turned someone’s day around for the better.

What are you most proud of?

I am proud in where I stand today: the daughter of hard-working immigrants who achieved more than most from a community college, which guided me to an amazing job that allowed me to check off “buying a home” at age 25.

If you could do it all over again, what would you do differently?

Nothing. All the hardships were meant to happen to get me where I am now: extremely happy.

What one bit of advice would you give to current and future Cypress College students?

Seek guidance when needed. Counselors are there, utilize them. Ask as many questions as you need.

Is there anything else you’d like to share?

Community college has always had a stigma to it compared to universities. But what I gained in such a short amount of time, no one can take that away from me. I am a huge advocate for community college, especially Cypress College. Thank you.

%d bloggers like this: