In Memory of Colleague Jeri Hernandez

Cypress College employees are remembering colleague Jeri Hernandez, who was known for her kindness and friendliness. A cancer survivor, Hernandez spent the last dozen years of her life serving students in the Admissions and Records Office. She passed away unexpectedly on Saturday after a brief illness.

As a result of her dedication to students and her commitment to her job, Hernandez was twice a finalist for Cypress College’s Outstanding Classified Employee Award, with nominations in 2010 and 2012.

Since 2014, she served as an evaluator in the Records Office, a job in which she helped determine if students met graduation requirements. She joined the staff at Cypress College in 2006 as a member of the administrative support team in A&R. She was a member of the college’s Graduation Committee, helping plan the highlight event of each year.

In her new role, Hernandez “enjoyed learning aspects of student support services and spending time with her colleagues,” Registrar David Booze said. “Our thoughts and prayers are with Jeri’s family during this difficult time. As they mourn her passing, we mourn with them. Jeri will be sorely missed.”

In addition to meeting her in the A&R Office, students might also recognize Hernandez from her frequent walks around the campus. She was part of a group who regularly walked for exercise during work breaks.

Information about funeral or memorial services is not yet available.

7 Comments

1. Inspite of health hardships, Jeri kept a smile and positive attitude. I enjoyed working with Jeri for many years when I worked in Admissions and Records. She will be missed. My thoughts and prayers are with her family and colleagues.

2. It is saddened that Jeri left us too soon. I like working with Jeri in Admissions and Records. Jeri will be dearly missed, especially with her attentive, friendly, warm personality and smile. May she rest in peace. My thoughts and prayers are with the family.

3. Her smile, her attitude and her outstanding personality will be greatly missed. I am saddened by the sudden loss and yet honored to have known and spent time with Jeri. She is going to be missed.

4. My heart hurts for the family she left behind. Jeri was a very special lady on our floor. Always smiling and she was so sweet to talk to also. She was so tough and a fighter, I know life will be so different without her here with us. We miss you greatly Jeri!!!

5. What a huge loss for Cypress College. Jeri was kind, thoughtful, and everything good you could say about a person. She was always willing to lend an ear and give gentle guidance when you needed it. She inspired me to go for an A&R position, which I hope I will have one day. A wonderful and selfless woman who’s sunshine smile I will certainly miss. Jeri, may God bless you and keep you until we meet again.

6. I was so sorry to hear about Jeri’s passing. I had the pleasure of working with Jeri for several years in Admissions and Records. She was a caring, considerate, diligent, and giving woman.
    “The comfort of having a friend may be taken away, but not that of having had one.” Seneca
    With Caring Thoughts

7. My heart is burdened and heavy with this sad news. I retired in 2013 from Fin. Aid. We put our walking crew together to keep her healthy and thru the years we recruited a pretty good size crew for our twice daily walks. Jeri was a breath of fresh air, with her soft spoken voice and always a positive word to say. May we all find comfort knowing this “Piece of Sunshine” brought so much inspiration to our students and us in her short life…… May you Rest in Peace my friend and thank you for the many wonderful years of deep discussions during our walks……