Brandon Davis Selected as Outstanding Graduate for Class of 2019

Brandon Davis was a typical college student juggling school with work and a social life when he was faced with a difficult reality: the active 20-year-old was diagnosed with Ewing’s Sarcoma in the last few weeks of the fall 2017 semester.

“I went from being a normal, 20-year-old college student, to having cancer,” he said. “At the beginning, I went through really hard realities that kind of stick with me today, such as I didn’t know if I was going to make it to celebrate my 21st birthday.”

Though he was faced with contemplating his own mortality, Brandon maintained his positive, upbeat attitude and continued to be vigorously dedicated to his education, determined to continue working towards his goal of becoming a high school math teacher to share his love and passion for math with others. He credited the support he received from family, friends, and college faculty and staff with helping him to keep up with his studies while making it through his long months of treatment.

“I believe what makes Brandon so special is not only his amazingly positive attitude, courage, and character,” said Psychology Professor Brandy Young,” but also his utter dedication to pursuing his dream. He is someone who can inspire all of us  faculty, students, and staff  to be their best no matter what challenging conditions they may face.”

While undergoing 14 rounds of chemotherapy over eight-and-a-half months, along with 29 rounds of radiation over a span of six weeks, Brandon turned 21 in September 2018. At the beginning of 2019, he received his first negative scan since finishing his treatment.

Back taking a full load of classes at Cypress College in spring 2019, Brandon has earned a number of scholarships, including a 1 Million for Anna Foundation scholarship for Ewing’s Sarcoma survivors. He is transferring to California State University, Long Beach in the fall to pursue his bachelor’s degree.

“One bit of advice I would give to current and future students is to never take a day for granted. See the beauty in each day and know that each day presents an opportunity to smile or laugh, no matter how dark or cloudy it may seem.

1 Comment

1. My brother class of 2019 was also a sarcoma survivor while attending school, supporting his two daughters and just bought a house. I feel that this is a great award to be give. But, other student have struggled and believe that the school should recognize all of the graduating student with Cancer or survivors. He is transferring to The University of Fullerton and has accomplished so much. Congratulations to all students specially the one who had to overcome sever obstacles.