President Schilling’s Board Report for August 24, 2021
The following is a report to members of the North Orange County Community College District Board of Trustees
Presented by Cypress College President JoAnna Schilling, Ph.D.
on August 24, 2021
Thank you to all who participated in our Opening and FLEX Day activities this past week. Many people contributed to an inspiring morning from Marc Posner and communications team members Marcie Kagawa, Anthony Diaz, and President’s Office staff Kristi Valdez and Louella Nelson. Highlighted in our pre-show were authors Stephanie Teer and retiree Donna Friess who have written a young adult book series and meditation and wellness, respectively. Anthony Ray Hinton, our keynote speaker, inspired us with an emotional presentation about his time on death row, and FITE Club student Dewayne McCoy shared his own challenges coming back to school after experiencing incarceration. We were also honored to present our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Award to all 22 members of our Black Lives Matter Taskforce — the first time a group was honored — for the important work they have contributed in support of transforming our college.
As part of the Flex Day events, a Campus COVID Update panel discussion was held on August 19, 2021 from 11:15 a.m.–12:45 p.m. Topics covered included:
- Our Safe Return to Campus Guide
- Facilities Update
- Student Services Update
- Health Updates
We appreciate the involvement of panel participants Paul de Dios, Alex Porter, Debbie Marriott-Simes, Marc Posner, and Marla McBride.
Our Communications Team has been busy providing updates to our students. Some of the recent efforts are below:
7/29 — Welcome Back to Campus
8/2 — (STEM)² Applications Now Available!
8/3 — Mortuary Science Application Workshop August 18
8/4 — Fall Classes Still Available
8/5 — We’re Here to Lend a Helping Hand
8/5 — Reminder: Get Vaxxed at Cypress College
8/6 — You’re Invited to New Student Welcome Night
Our athletics teams, led by Interim Dean Colin Preston and Athletic Director Wesley McCurtis, have been leading the way all year on COVID testing and vaccinations. CCCAA has mandated that 85% of student athletes must be vaccinated before weekly testing can be diminished. A recent survey sent to all our athletes showed the following results:
Total Survey Responses: 231
- Vaccinated: 138 – 60%
- Vaccinated + Planning to be Vaccinated: 168 – 73%
- Vaccinated + Planning to be Vaccinated + Waiting for FDA Approval: 201 – 87%
We plan to be above 87% by October 15 for all sports teams.
Our M&O Team has been busy getting the college ready for students, returning faculty, and employees on campus. Thank you to Phil Fleming, Carlos Guerrero, and our outstanding team for this impressive list of work they have accomplished:
- Over 2,000 visual aide decals have been installed throughout the campus in corridors/classrooms, entrances, and exits in these areas helping to direct students, staff, and visitors to their destination.
- Hand-sanitizing stations and sanitizing wipes have been placed in all classrooms targeted for occupancy (a few more are still going out).
- PPE has been distributed to every division on campus, and we will be re-stocking supply to meet the reoccurring demand throughout the entire fall semester. This PPE consists of face masks, some face shields, and latex gloves.
- Every building on campus has been deep-cleaned and all restrooms have been deep-cleaned over the summer months.
- We have placed over 200 individual plexiglass barriers at numerous locations throughout the campus, and our student services area is fully equipped with plexiglass protection.
- Every HVAC filter on campus has been changed out to the MERV-13 standard filters.
- HEPA air filters in each classroom for fall.
Cypress In the News
We are happy to share the latest press articles featuring Cypress College below:
The CEO Leadership Alliance-OC recently launched a career pathways program in partnership with OC school districts and community colleges. North Orange County Community College District was acknowledged for our partnership in the CLA-OC Talent Bridge program with OC computer software firm Alteryx. Students in this program are earning a certification in data analytics, while gaining insight to the company’s career pathways. Upon conclusion they will be provided an invitation-only opportunity to network with top-level Alteryx leadership and affiliated Alteryx companies. Click here for CLAOC article.
The Event News-Enterprise carried additional news coverage in the last two weeks. This article covers both the OCADA awards provided to Cypress College and Michael Klyde’s CAT Teacher of the Year award.
And in late breaking news, the Cypress College Aviation Program was featured on Wednesday, August 18 on ABC Channel 7 news. We are trying to obtain a video of this great story, which we will share with you soon. Thank you to Edilberto Valdez for continuing to lead the way in our outstanding Aviation Program.
Save the date! The Grand Opening of the new Veterans Resource Center and SEM building has been set for October 19, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. Look for invitations with more information coming soon.
At our last board meeting, we shared that Dr. Schilling would be participating in the Pathways of Hope Look Who’s Dancing competition. Unfortunately, due to concerns about the safety of holding this event in the fall, the fundraiser has been postponed until 2022. Dr. Schilling looks forward to participating in the competition next year.
We are happy to share our Student Athlete Highlights:
- 3.1 spring 2021 average GPA
- 119 student athletes cumulative 3.0+
- 42 different majors
- 3.0 average cumulative student athlete GPA
- 203 student athletes
- 39 athletes with a 4.0 during spring 2021
- 143 athletes with a 3.0+ during spring 2021
- 11 teams with GPA 3.0+ in-season
Thank you to Sports Communication Specialist Brett Franchino for putting together this information. Go, Chargers!
Buen Cypress! We Take This Journey Together!