#CYPossible: Valerie Lobato, Court Reporting

Completing coursework calls for celebration, and we are proud to celebrate with Cypress College’s newest degree- and certificate-holders. By achieving these education goals, graduates and certificate-earners are equipped to continue on their college path or find strong footholds in the career fields they’ve chosen. We’ve taken the journey with these outstanding students, and know that when they look to the horizon, they see what is #CYPossible.

A woman with long hair and a purple shirt smiles as she holds a captioning machine on the campus of Cypress College.

Please tell us a little about yourself. Where did you grow up? What are your interests? What is your story?  

I grew up in Lakewood, California, in a family of six. My family was and still is very musical, as we have had multiple family bands through the years, even now. It is still a hobby of mine to sing and play in my spare time with those I love the most. Family is everything to me.

Why did you choose to attend Cypress College and how did being a student here help you find your first position after completion?  

I was very lucky to find Cypress College because it was the only school in my area that offered a program for Court Reporting. Through this program, I learned the skill of stenography which led to my position as a professional CART Captioner. Not only did I gain skill, but I gained a knowledge of the field and was given resources to ease my transition from student to working professional.

A woman sits at a captioning machine in a well-lit office.

What did you pursue after completing your studies at Cypress College (at your transfer institution, in the workforce, etc.) and where are you now?  

Currently, I am a working CART Captioner. With my skill to type at high speeds, I am equipped to aid individuals in the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community in classroom, professional, and legal settings by transcribing what is voiced to them and providing it in written form.

Additionally, I am continuing my education further at Cypress College to achieve the Certified Shorthand Reporter certification in the state of California. This will enable me to become an official Court Reporter for the California legal system.

What are your long-term goals? What do you aspire to?  

A long-term goal of mine is to have a family. I chose my field because it provides the choice of flexibility, which is perfect for family life.

What are you most passionate about? Why?  

I am very passionate about working hard and pushing yourself to your highest potential, both physically and mentally. Since childhood, I was held to a very high standard and I still hold myself to those standards today. To me, it is the highest form of self-love to hold yourself highly.

A woman smiles as she folds her arms and stands in front of the Business Education building on the campus of Cypress College.

What are you most proud of?  

I am most proud of achieving my current status as a stenographer. It is a very hard skill to learn, and I have faced a lot of ups and downs and even considered quitting. But with the support of family and through hard work, I am very proud to be a working professional.

If you could do it all over again, what would you do differently?  

If I could do it again, I would put more of my focus into my schooling. If I had, I believe I would have gotten through school much faster.

What one bit of advice would you give to current and future Cypress College students?  

My bit of advice is to never give up! It’s easy to compare yourself to others and their achievements. But just focusing on yourself and putting in the work for you is what will get you to your goals.

%d bloggers like this: