Emergency Drill on Wednesday 4/12/23
Cypress College is holding an emergency-preparedness drill on Wednesday, April 12, 2023. This drill will allow the college to test our emergency alert system. This test will encompass sending out three different alerts over the course of 15 minutes to simulate a response to an active shooter scenario.
- The first alert will notify the community that this is a drill and that those on campus should shelter in place using the Run – Hide – Fight method which is recommended for an active-shooter scenario.
- The second alert will notify the community that the shooter has been contained but to continue to shelter in place.
- The final alert will notify the community that it is safe to resume normal activities
Update Your Information
Being prepared helps mitigate situations that may cause harm to the campus community. Campus Safety works 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Officers are out on patrol and are just a phone call away. the Campus Safety number is (714) 484-7387. Please program this number in your phone for easy access. Students are encouraged to use myGateway to update their personal information for text alert messaging in the event of an emergency. Students must provide their personal information in myGateway to receive these text notifications.
Follow these steps to verify that your cell phone and email address are entered and current:
- Sign into myGateway.
- Go to the “Personal Information” channel under the “Student” tab.
- Click on the item “Set Text Message Alert Preferences.”
- When clicking on “Set Text Message Alert Preferences,” the next screen will allow you to enter your cell phone information
Q and A
During the drill is the community supposed to RUN (evacuate)?
No. Just be mindful of what you would do if you had to run. Where would you go? How would you get there? Would you need assistance.
During the drill is the community supposed to HIDE (Shelter in Place)?
Yes. Although we are not asking you to fully climb under your desk, we ask that you close your door, turn off your lights, silence your cell phones. If you are in a location where your department has identified a “safe zone” then practice retreating to that location.
Will there be Cypress Police presence?
While Cypress PD does know about the drill, they may or may not have officers on campus. You will however see Campus Safety Officers reacting as they would in case of an actual incident.
How long will this drill last?
The drill is scheduled for 15 minutes.
How will I get notified?
Notifications will go out through our Rave Alert Emergency Notification System. You should already be signed up. To confirm you are signed up or to make sure that Cypress College has the most up to date contact numbers, use the instructions above to verify and update your emergency contact information.