Cypress College is a community that embraces diversity; fosters individuality; provides an accessible, supportive climate; and encourages a variety of perspectives and opinions. As a part of our commitment to creating an inclusive environment for our LGBTQ+ students and employees, we share the following resources.
The Cypress College LGBTQ+ Liaison serves as a point of contact for the needs of LGBTQ+ faculty, staff and students. Their primary goal is to assist in creating a safer and more inclusive learning and working environment for queer individuals at Cypress College. They also serve as a resource for individuals seeking to better support LGBTQ+ individuals in our campus community. If you need support for yourself, need guidance to better support others, or have any other LGBTQ+-related needs or concerns, please contact the campus LGBTQ+ Liaison:
Jenelle is passionate about English language learners, queer folks, BIPOC, equity, inclusion, and social justice. At Cypress College, she serves in many roles that reflect those passions:
- Professor of English as a Second Language in the Language Arts Department
- Faculty advisor for the Queer-Straight Alliance student club
- President of GLADE faculty and staff association
- Member of campus/District committees:
- Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee
- Student Equity & Achievement Committee
- Racial Justice and Equity Committee (a subcommittee of United Faculty)
- Sustainability Committee
When she’s not teaching, she spends as much time as she can surfing and traveling with her wife in their campervan.
She is committed to advocating for those in our Cypress College community. Please reach out if she can support you in any way, and she will do her best to help you or guide you to the appropriate resources.
Here is a list of all-gender restrooms on campus:
- Art Gallery
- Science, Engineering, Math (SEM) Building (outside): on each floor near the elevator
- Student Life and Leadership (inside): near food pantry
- Tech Ed 3 (TE3)
- 1st Floor (outside): always locked, must ask for key in division office
- 2nd & 3rd Floor (inside): should be unlocked
- Veterans’ Resource Center (inside): down the hallway to the right of the front desk
- Once renovations are completed in the Visual and Performing Arts (VAPA) Building, there will be multiple all-gender restrooms on the first floor, as well as one on both the 2nd and 3rd floors.
Please contact the campus LGBTQ+ Liaison if you or someone else has any negative experiences using the restrooms on campus.
If you want to stay informed regarding LGBTQ+ events, resources, and information, we strongly encourage you to join the Cypress College LGBTQ+ Advocates Canvas shell. If, for some reason, you are not comfortable joining the Canvas shell, you can complete this opt-in form to be added to our email list.
If you’re a student who would like to connect with other LGBTQ+ students and staff or get involved in conversations and decisions regarding LGBTQ+ inclusion on campus, we would love for you to do the following:
- Spend as much time as you can in the Pride Center.
- Participate in Pride Center events.
- Join the student club (see below).
- Connect with the Pride staff by email at Q@cypresscollege.edu.
If you are an employee who would like to get more involved, check out the GLADE website for more information on the District’s LGBTQ+ Faculty and Staff Association, which is open to allies as well. We would also love for you to drop by the Pride Center to connect with our staff and resources.
At the start of fall 2022, Cypress opened its first dedicated LGBTQ+ space on campus! As we move into fall 2023, we are expanding to a Pride Center!
The Cypress College Pride Center is a resource center and inclusive, respectful space for LGBTQ+ students and staff, as well as allies, to relax, build relationships, study, get support, and access resources. Most importantly, it’s a place to be yourself. Here, students and staff work together through the Pride Center to increase queer visibility and representation, intersectional awareness, and inclusivity across the campus.
The Pride Center hosts a Lavender Welcome each fall semester, a Lavender Graduation at the end of each spring semester, weekly Queer-Straight Alliance student club meetings, and other workshops and events throughout the year. You can also find our very own Gaybrary with numerous LGBTQ+ books to borrow, games, fidget toys, and sometimes snacks.
The Pride Center is open and staffed during the fall and spring semesters Monday-Thursday from 8 a.m.–6 p.m. and Fridays from 8 a.m.–2 p.m. We hope to see you there!
Email Q@cypresscollege.edu for more information.
Queer-Straight Alliance (QSA) Club
The Queer-Straight Alliance (QSA) strives to be a fun and safe space for LGBTQ+ students and their allies to share their stories, learn about LGBTQ+ issues, support diversity and inclusion for all students, and make a positive impact on campus and in the community. The club is inclusive of all gender identities, sexual orientations, races, and ethnicities. Our members are a diverse representation of the spectrum.
The QSA participates in campus AS events, holds weekly club meetings, hosts National Coming Out Day (October), attends Pride Parades and Festivals (May/June), and more.
The QSA meets weekly in the Pride Center.
LGBTQ+ Job Resources
- Archives of Encyclopedia of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender & Queer Culture
- Equality California
- Equality Federation
- Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network
- GLAAD: Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation
- Human Rights Campaign
- International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission
- Lambda Legal
- National Gay & Lesbian Task Force
- Parents, Families & Friends of Lesbians and Gays
- TLA Releasing: Gay/Lesbian Films