Cypress STEM Students Tour SpaceX
Space X designs, manufactures and launches advanced rockets and spacecraft. The company was founded in 2002 to revolutionize space travel, with the ultimate goal of enabling people to live on other planets.
Hard to beat that mission statement.
For engineers, adventurists, and brand enthusiasts alike, Space X is one of the most glamorous companies to follow.
Imagine working there.
If you have the right background, you can (and Cypress can launch you towards that end… 😉
Our STEM(2) students got a first look at how. In a special Saturday, March 19th event exclusive to family and friends of SpaceX personnel, 16 of our CC students toured the facilities, met with employees and had lunch at the company’s Hawthorne headquarters (where the rockets are manufactured).
SpaceX is arguably one of the most innovative companies in the world today.
- The first privately funded, liquid-fueled rocket (Falcon 1) to reach orbit (28 September 2008)
- The first privately funded company to successfully launch (by Falcon 9) orbit and recover a spacecraft (Dragon) (9 December 2010)
- The first private company to send a spacecraft (Dragon) to the International Space Station (25 May 2012)
- The first private company to send a satellite into geosynchronous orbit (SES-8, 3 December 2013)
- The first landing of a first stage orbital capable rocket (Falcon 9) (22 December 2015 1:40 UTC)
For those who haven’t had the privilege of attending in-person, here’s an online tour via CEO Elon Musk.
For more information on the day or to be involved in future STEM events, please contact our Cypress College STEM(2) Program Director Yanet Garcia.
#CypressCollege #STEM #SpaceX
Cypress College is recognized as one of California’s top community colleges. Recent accolades include:
– #1 in the U.S. | Top Toyota T-TEN Auto-Tech Program in the Nation.
– #2 in C.A. | Top Two ESL & Basic Skills English Programs in California.
– #3 in C.A. | Ranked as a Top Three California Community College (Schools.com)
– #3 in the Region | Ranked Top Three in Greater Los Angeles & Orange County for Student Transfer and Graduation Rates (EdSmart.org)
– 15 of 113 | California Community Colleges piloting a Bachelor’s Degree (Mortuary Science)
– #17 in the U.S. | National Ranking on MTV-U’s website “Rate-My-Professor”
– Top National Licensure Exam Pass Rates | Perfect state licensure pass rates for students in the following programs: Dental Hygiene, Diagnostic Medical Sonography: Abdomen; Diagnostic Medical Sonography (OB/Gyn); Diagnostic Medical Sonography: Physics; and Mortuary Science: Sciences. 90+% state licensure exam pass rates for students in the following programs: Dental Assisting; Mortuary Science (Arts); Radiology Technology. And85%+ state licensure rates for students in: Health Information Technology; Nursing; and Psychiatric Technology.
– 2/3ds of the Class of 2015 qualified for transfer to a UC or CSU institution.
– 76 Orange Empire Athletics Conference Titles
– 25 California Community College Athletic Association State Championship Titles