AB540 Resources

Under California Law, non-resident students who meet specific criteria, are eligible to pay resident tuition at public colleges and universities.  Students who are granted an AB 540 exemption pay in-state tuition and fees rather than out-of-state tuition.

To be eligible for the exemption students must meet all of the following criteria:

  • Attend a California high school for a minimum of 3 years
  • Graduate (or will graduate) from a California high school or equivalent (California GED and the California High School Equivalency Exam are considered equivalent)
  • Have a signed California Nonresident Exemption Request which states that you meet the conditions of AB540, are undocumented and in the process of legalizing your immigration status (or will do so as soon as you are eligible)