Students are classified as:

  • Full-time — Enrolled in 12 or more units
  • Part-time — Enrolled in fewer than 12 units
  • Freshman — Fewer than 30 units completed
  • Sophomore — 30 or more units completed

New and Returning Students

New students are those who have never attended Cypress or Fullerton College. Registration priority is given in the order the applications for admission are received.

Returning students are those students who previously attended Cypress or Fullerton College but did not register for a class during the previous semester. Registration priority is given in the order the applications for admission are received.

Continuing Students

Continuing Students were registered in a class at Cypress or Fullerton College the previous semester long enough to receive a grade (A, B, C, D, F, I, IP, NC, CR, or W) on their permanent record and are given priority registration based on the number of units completed at Cypress and Fullerton Colleges.

Academic Renewal

If you have taken classes whose grades you do not want reflected in your GPA, AND you do NOT need to repeat those classes, you may pursue Academic Renewal. To qualify you MUST:

  • Have completed at least 12 units earning a 2.5 GPA or higher.
  • Have waited a minimum of twelve months since your last substandard grade
  • No more than 24 units of substandard grades (D, F, NC, and NP) may be disregarded.
  • Bring in all (official) transcripts from other colleges at the time of your application.

Academic Renewal

Cross Enrollment

Undergraduate students enrolled at Cypress College can enroll at any of the participating California State University (CSU) or University of California (UC) campuses. Qualified students may enroll without formal admission and without payment of additional State University fees. A maximum of one course per academic term at any CSU or UC campus will be permitted on a space-available basis at the discretion of the appropriate campus authorities. Enrollment in pre-collegiate courses are excluded. Download the cross enrollment form here.

If a student has repeated the same class (whether here or at another school), they are welcome to submit a course repeat adjustment. If the class was taken elsewhere, the student MUST bring in official transcripts along with the form for it to be processed. If approved, the substandard grade(s) will no longer count toward your GPA.

Course Repeat Adjustment Form


An Incomplete is a contractual agreement between the student and instructor to make up academic work that has not been completed for unforeseeable, emergency, and justifiable reasons. Please refer to the college catalog for a complete list of rules and regulations.

Unit Increases

Unit increases are given when a student wants to take more than 19 units (the default maximum). To increase units, a student must see a counselor, who will then fill out the unit increase form, citing at least two reasons and signing it. The student will then bring the form down to Admissions, who will process it.