Enhance your Design Communication Skills: Media Arts, Photo & Digital Cinema
These days being able to communicate visually is important in nearly every field of study or practice. Why not expand, refresh or reboot your design skills? At Cypress, we have incredible art, digital cinema, photo and media arts classes taught by internationally acclaimed artists and top industry professionals. Our courses are hands-on, small-size and at a fraction of the price you’ll find at any extension program. And unlike other institutions, CC students have full access to art facilities, modern Mac and Windows labs, digital equipment, as well as an extensive array of current design and production software (Photoshop, Illustrator, Final Cut, SketchUp, and much more).
So if you’re interested in growing your knowledge, your skills, your confidence, your transfer and/or professional value, then you should consider a class in Fine Arts, Media Arts Design, Photography and/or Digital Cinema. Below are a few opportunities still available for spring. Also highlighted are links to some of our amazing faculty, students and alums. For a super and quick film highlight of our arts community, check out Mike Alcoran’s coverage of the annual art gallery show.
ART 161, Gallery Studies I | 3 Units
Gallery Studies I is an introduction to the presentation of artwork. This class teaches students how to present their artwork in a portfolio. In addition, students will be introduced to installation practices required to work in gallery and museum environments. This course will introduce art handling, conservation, visitor relations, installation, construction and maintenance.
Instructor: Paul Paiement | Mondays and Wednesdays, 1:20-4:30 p.m. | CRN#12267
Professor Paul Paiement and Cypress College students | more art & gallery photos via Instagram
MEDIA ARTS DESIGN
MAD 184 C, Digital Video Explorations | 3 units
This course focuses on the use of introductory video and audio programs. The use of various video input and output devices will be covered. This course is designed for students to input, create, manipulate and output digital video.
Instructor: Tommy Shimanek | Wednesdays, 7–9:05 p.m. (72 hours TBA Lab Required) | CRN#23611
MAD 194 C, Beginning Motion Picture Production | 3 Units
This course provides an introduction to the theory, terminology, and process of motion picture production for film and television including operation of production and postproduction equipment.
Instructor: Ian Holmes | Tuesdays and Thursdays, 11:20 a.m.–2:30 p.m. (No TBA Lab Required) | CRN#23480
MAD 199 C, Computer Graphic Studio | 1 Unit
This course is designed as an open laboratory for students currently enrolled in Fine Arts Division courses that require completion of digital assignments and/or personal digital portfolio development.
Instructor: John Bilotta | Open Entry / Open Exit | Attendance to be arranged with professor | CRN #20072
MAD 295 C, Media Arts Design Internship | 1 Unit
This course is an exploration of internship opportunities in the field of media arts including graphic design, computer modeling, animation, motion picture / video production, and multimedia production.
Instructor: John Bilotta | Tuesdays, 6–9:10 p.m. (No TBA Lab Required)| CRN#24337
ONLINE — MAD 195, Science Fiction Film Genre | 3 Units
New spring course offering! Late start: 2/16-5/28
ONLINE — MAD 196, Silent Film Genre | 3 Units
New spring course offering! Late start: 2/16-5/28
PHOT 106 C, Advanced Wedding Photography | 3 Units
This course is designed to prepare photographers for a career as a first shooter in the professional wedding photography industry.
Instructor: Michael Colon | Wednesdays, 3–5:05 p.m. | CRN#24155
PHOT 216 C, Advanced Digital Photography | 3 Units
This course is designed to provide students with advanced knowledge of techniques in digital image editing and printing as well as the creation of an individual digitally based portfolio.
Instructor: Gregory Zajack | Wednesdays, 7–9:05 p.m. | CRN#20084
Many of our Fine Arts, MAD, and Photography students move on from Cypress to top four-year art schools or start their own practice. Our courses provide skills needed for employment, advancement and/or entrepreneurialism.
#FineArts #MediaArts #Design #Communication #CypressCollege #OrangeCountyDesign #LosAngelesDesign #Photography #OrangeCountyPhoto #LosAngelesPhoto
- #1 in the U.S. | Top Toyota T-TEN Auto-Tech Program in the Nation.
- #2 in C.A. | Top Two ESL & Basic Skills English Programs in California.
- #3 in C.A. | Ranked as a Top Three California Community College (Schools.com)
- #3 in the Region | Ranked Top Three in Greater Los Angeles & Orange County for Student Transfer and Graduation Rates (EdSmart.org)
- 15 of 113 | California Community Colleges piloting a Bachelor’s Degree (Mortuary Science)
- #17 in the U.S. | National Ranking on MTV-U’s website “Rate-My-Professor”
- Top National Licensure Exam Pass Rates | Perfect state licensure pass rates for students in the following programs: Dental Hygiene, Diagnostic Medical Sonography: Abdomen; Diagnostic Medical Sonography (OB/GYN); Diagnostic Medical Sonography: Physics; and Mortuary Science: Sciences. 90%+ state licensure exam pass rates for students in the following programs: Dental Assisting; Mortuary Science (Arts); Radiology Technology. And 85%+ state licensure rates for students in: Health Information Technology; Nursing; and Psychiatric Technology.
- 2/3ds of the Class of 2015 qualified for transfer to a UC or CSU institution.
- 75 Orange Empire Athletics Conference Titles
- 25 California Community College Athletic Association State Championship Titles