Student Equity and Achievement Committee
Director/Chair: Romeo Garcia
Chair Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Co-Chair: Alison Robertson
Co-Chair Contact: email@example.com
Meeting Dates: 1st Wednesday of every month
Meeting Time: 3:30–5 p.m.
Meeting Location: Hybrid/Hyflex via CCCPLX-419 and Zoom
Through the Student Equity and Achievement Program (SEA), Cypress College is supporting the California Community Colleges in advancing the system-wide goal to boost achievement and eliminating gaps for all students with an emphasis on traditionally underrepresented groups.
The purpose of the SEA committee is to review funding requests/proposals related to student equity and success, with a focus on addressing equity gaps and disproportionate impacts.
The college has an ongoing focus and commitment to support our African-American/Black and Hispanic/Latin@x populations. In addition, the SEA Committee reviews and reports to the state on prior and existing plans; the committee develops a new plan every three years according to state guidelines.
While the committee’s main focus is on approving funding requests, the committee may also work on developing projects that support the current SEA plan populations, metrics, and goals.
The SEA committee is a campus committee.
- SEA sends the faculty co-chair as a liaison to the Senate. The liaison provides regular reports to the senate regarding SEA activities and reports back to the SEA Committee about any relevant Senate information.
- The Director of Student Equity and Success and a faculty member are liaisons to DEIAA Committee.
- The SEA Committee has no standing subcommittees, but it can create such committees to delegate certain tasks. Typical subcommittees include SEA Plan Development Workgroup and Charter & Membership Review Workgroup.
- SEA Director (co-chair)
- Faculty Co- Chair (will serve as Academic Senate Liaison)
- Counseling Faculty Department Coordinator
- English Department Coordinator
- ESL Department Coordinator
- Math Department Coordinator
- Ethnic Studies (OR Puente or Legacy Rep)
- Adjunct Faculty Member
- United Faculty Representative
- Counseling Dean
- Language Arts Dean
- Library/Learning Resource Center Dean
- SEM Dean
- DSS Director
- Classified Representative
- Associated Student Representative
Non-Voting Resource Members
- VP, Student Services
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee Representative
- Institutional Research
- Guided Pathways
- Professional Development Representative
- Dual Enrollment Project Director
- CTE Dean
- BLM Taskforce Rep
- SEA Director (co-chair) – Romeo Garcia
- Faculty Co- Chair (will serve as Academic Senate Liaison) – Alison Robertson
- Counseling Faculty Department Coordinator – Robert Grantham
- English Department Coordinator – Joseph Melodia
- ESL Department Coordinator – Jenelle Herman
- Math Department Coordinator – Adam Eckenrode
- Ethnic Studies (OR Puente or Legacy Rep) – Dr.Gio Hortua
- Adjunct Faculty Member – Melissa Brandan
- United Faculty Representative – Vacant
- Counseling Dean – Dr. Troy Davis
- Language Arts Dean – Dr. Janet Vera
- Library/Learning Resource Center Dean – Dr. Treisa Cassens
- SEM Dean – Patricia Menchaca
- DSS Director – Celeste Phelps
- Classified Representative – Kristina Oganesian
- Associated Student Representative – Jordy Galan & Kassy Nguyen
Non-Voting Resource Members
- VP, Student Services – Dr. Paul de Dios
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee Representative – Dr. Maha Afra
- Institutional Research – Bryan Ventura
- Guided Pathways – Dr. Liana Koeppel/Brady Miller- Wakeham
- Professional Development Representative – Dr.Jane Jepson
- Dual Enrollment Project Director – Stephanie Teer
- CTE Dean – Dr. Margaret Fernandez
- BLM Taskforce Rep – Dr. Temperence Dowdle
Terms of Membership
The Faculty Co-Chair serves a three-year term; maximum of six consecutive years.
The remaining standing voting members of the committee have no term limits.
Faculty and Classified voting positions serve three-year terms. Non-Faculty voting members hold non-termed positions.
The Resource/Non-voting members hold non-termed positions; the position itself is a permanent member of the committee unless charter member composition is amended by the committee.