Distance Education Training Courses
Please note that you must be currently employed by Cypress College as a full-time or adjunct instructor during the training course
Online Teacher Training (online and hybrid classes)
Online Teacher training is an intense, instructor-led, 6-week online course with two (2) mandatory in-person meetings with weekly deadlines. It is designed to help you explore how to teach online as effectively as you do in a campus-based classroom. Successfully completing the Online Teacher training qualifies you to teach online and hybrid classes at Cypress College. This training includes 20 competencies which must be completed by specific deadlines. All work must be completed during the 6-week timeframe. Approximate time investment is 10 to 25 hours weekly. Due to the intense content, each cohort is limited to 15 participants.
- All deadlines will be strictly enforced due to limited resource availability.
- Individuals who enroll in the Online Teacher Training are required to register and complete the Canvas Web Enhanced training before the class starts or will be dropped.
- Summer and Fall training sessions TBD – contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
Online Teacher Training Prerequisites
Please complete the following requirements before the first day of training. Submit your proof of completion to DistanceEd@CypressCollege.edu.
- Completion of the Web Enhanced Training
- Notify your dean and department coordinator that you are enrolling in the Online Teacher training. Enrollment or completion of the training does not guarantee an online or hybrid course assignment.
- Obtain a Cypress College Email Address – All DE faculty must have an official Cypress College email. Please contact your dean to acquire a Cypress College email address.
- Complete the online faculty self-assessment.
- Secure Priority Registration – If you will be teaching an online or hybrid course in the upcoming session, please ask your dean to email a request to add you as a priority registrants in Faculty Basics, because you will be teaching in the next semester. Instruct your Dean to email this request to Distance Education at: DistanceEd@CypressCollege.edu. Please note that individuals who are enrolled in the training and do not secure priority registration may be placed on a waitlist or may be required to enroll in an upcoming training to accommodate those who secure priority registration. Please note that there is a possibility that you could be “bumped” even after you have secured a spot in the training.
Canvas Web-Enhanced Training
Web enhanced training is designed for in-person courses in which an instructor would like to use Canvas to supplement instruction. Canvas cannot be used to replace in-person meetings. Before your Canvas course site can be created, you must complete the mandatory online, self-paced training. The training can be completed in one evening and includes topics such as the Cypress College way, accessibility requirements, copyright laws, e-Lumen, Ally and Canvas tutorials. If you have completed the Cypress College Canvas Online Teacher training, you are exempt from web enhanced training.
Web-Enhanced Training Session Dates
- Training is on-going.
How to Enroll & Sign-Up
(If you are a new hire, you must have already been processed by NOCCCD Human Resources and entered in the Banner system to be eligible for enrollment)
Submit your enrollment request via the Distance Education ticket system. Please allow time to process your request. If you need assistance, please contact the Distance Education Office.
Distance Education Equivalency (Not available at this time – please contact the Distance Ed Office)
Faculty seeking equivalency approval in lieu of completing the Cypress College Distance Education Online Teacher training must meet the minimum requirements and follow the outline evaluation procedures to teach online and hybrid courses.
To be considered for the equivalency evaluation, you must meet the following requirements:
- Three years currently teaching online/hybrid courses using Canvas or completed training equivalent to Cypress College’s training (i.e. @ONE Online Teaching Certificate) proof must be submitted
- Have a firm grasp of 508 accessibility requirements, and
- Demonstrate your online/hybrid teaching ability as set forth below
You will be required to participate in a face-to-face presentation with the Distance Education Evaluation Team, which will include your dean and department coordinator, online faculty, DE Dean and DE Coordinator. The evaluation normally takes about 30 minutes. During the evaluation, you will be required to perform the following four tasks:
- Deliver a presentation that demonstrates your mastery of the Canvas environment
- Demonstrate proficiency in navigating in Canvas by performing specific tasks that are dictated orally.
- Provide a walk-through by logging into your Canvas online course site that you have previously taught.
- Demonstrate your understanding of accessibility requirements and create compliant Word, PDF and PowerPoint documents.
For more information, please contact the Distance Education Office at (714) 484-7052.