The Title 5 Policies
Curriculum Committee Authority
Title 5 §55002
Curriculum Committee. The college and/or district curriculum committee recommending the course shall be established by the mutual agreement of the college and/or district administration and the academic senate. The committee shall be either a committee of the academic senate or a committee that includes faculty and is otherwise comprised in a way that is mutually agreeable to the college and/or district administration and the academic senate.
The curriculum committee is the vehicle upon which the local academic senate relies in carrying out its responsibility to develop curriculum recommendations for presentation to the local governing board. As stated in the Title 5 sections below, courses and programs must be recommended by the curriculum committee and approved by the governing board of a college district. The curriculum committee may either be a committee of the senate or a college committee whose composition is mutually agreed upon by the senate and the administration.
Section 53200 Definitions
Academic Senate means an organization whose primary function is to make recommendations with respect to academic and professional matters.
Academic and Professional matters means the following policy development matters:
- Curriculum, including establishing prerequisites.
- Degree and certificate requirements.
- Grading policies.
- Educational program development.
- Standards or policies regarding student preparation and success.
- College governance structures, as related to faculty roles.
- Faculty roles and involvement in accreditation processes.
- Policies for faculty professional development activities.
- Processes for program review.
- Processes for institutional planning and budget development.
- Other academic and professional matters as mutually agreed upon.
Consult Collegially means that the district governing board shall develop policies on academic and professional matters through either or both of the following:
- Rely primarily upon the advice and judgment of the academic senate, OR
- The governing board, or its designees, and the academic senate shall reach mutual agreement by written resolution, regulation, or policy of the governing board effectuating such recommendations.
URL from “ The Legal Basis: Education Code, Title 5, and Local Implementation”