Liberal Arts Associate in Arts Degree with Area of Emphasis
The Liberal Arts Associate in Arts (AA) Degree with Area of Emphasis provides students with the opportunity to earn a degree within a broad liberal arts education. Earning an AA may or may not be the most efficient path to fulfilling transfer requirements. Please consult a counselor and/or the Transfer Center for information regarding selection of an appropriate general education pattern and pertinent classes, as well as your intended major at the specific college/university of choice.
Liberal Arts Associate in Arts Degree with Area of Emphasis Requirements
- Completion of California State University General Education Breadth (CSU GE) or the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC).
- Completion of at least 18 units in an Area of Emphasis. All courses in the major must be completed with a “C” grade or better and must be on the major list at the time the student completed the course. If a course is taken before it is approved for inclusion on the list, it cannot be used to meet graduation requirements. Similarly, a course which is taken after it has been removed from the list cannot be used for graduation.
- A 2.0 overall GPA and a 2.0 GPA in all courses taken in the Area of Emphasis
- Fulfillment of all graduation requirements, to include one (1) unit of physical education and three (3) units of Cultural Diversity for a total of 60 transferable units. (See Native Pattern GE for Cultural Diversity Courses)
- Completion of an Area of Emphasis Degree automatically meets the Reading Proficiency requirement.
- Apply for Associate Degree – Emphasis/Departmental in in the Admission and Records Office by the published deadline (See page 2 of the current class schedule for the current semester deadline.)
Note: This degree is an associate in arts degree designed for transfer students; however, it does not qualify as an Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) for CSU priority admission consideration.
Liberal Arts AA Degree with Area of Emphasis Plans, Cypress College 2019–2020
For additional Liberal Arts plans, please see our Archives.
You must have the free Adobe Reader program installed on your computer to view and print the PDF files on this page. Download the free Adobe Reader program from Adobe.