California Dream Act Overview

Home » Financial Aid » Applying for Aid » California Dream Act Overview

The California Dream Act allows undocumented and nonresident students (US Citizens and eligible non-citizens) who qualify for a non-resident exemption under Assembly Bill 540 (AB 540) to receive certain types of financial aid such as fee waivers, grants, and scholarships.

AB 540 Eligibility – must meet all 5 requirements

  1. Attended high school in California for three or more years OR Attained equivalent of three years full-time high school credits and three or more years of attendance in California K-8
  2. Graduate from a California high school or obtained GED, HiSET, or TASC
  3. Register and enroll in a qualifying California college or university
  4. Complete affidavit to legalize immigration status as soon as you are eligible
  5. Do not hold a valid non-immigrant visa (A through S, TN, TD, V, TROV, & NATO)**

Types of Aid

By submitting a CA Dream Act application, you may be eligible for:

  • The California College Promise Grant (CCPG) is not a cash award. It waives community college enrollment fees for eligible students.
  • The Cal Grant is a cash award provided to students to help cover education-related expenses. Students who qualify for the Cal Grant may also be eligible for the Student Success Completion Grant (SSCG) if enrolled in 12 or more units (prior to the freeze date) per semester. Get more information on our State Aid Programs page.

The following types of aid require an additional application:

  • EOPS provides services such as tutoring, book vouchers, priority registration, academic counseling, and more. Contact EOPS at (714) 484-7368 for more information.
  • CARE provides additional services to EOPS students who are single parents receiving public assistance. CalWORKs provides additional services to EOPS students who are receiving TANF. Contact CARE/CalWORKs at (714) 484-7368 for more information.
  • Scholarships are typically cash awards to help students pay for education-related expenses. For information on how to search for and apply, visit our Financial Aid Scholarships page.
  • The Chafee grant assists former foster youth students between the ages of 18-26.

For additional assistance, call the CSAC Customer Relations at 1 (888) 224-7268.