State Aid Programs

Fee Waiver

California College Promise Grant (CCPG)

The California College Promise Grant (CCPG) is a state-sponsored program that waives enrollment fees for qualifying students who are California residents. The CCPG is only available at California Community Colleges. CCPG applicants do not have to be enrolled in a minimum number of units – whether you take 0.5 units or 21 units, your enrollment fees will be waived. CCPG applicants only need to apply once per year for the fees to be waived for the academic year (fall, spring, and summer).

The CCPG pays for enrollment fees only. Students are responsible for all other fees that apply (health fee, course material fees, parking permit, student ID, etc.). Assistance for the purchase of books and supplies must be applied for separately by submitting a FAFSA or Dream Act application.

How to Apply

To apply for the CCPG, students must complete the application, which can be accessed through myGateway and clicking on the financial aid tab on Webstar. Students may qualify under different methods. Students only need to qualify for one method to have their fees waived. Students who submit a CCPG application may also need to submit proof of prior year income, such as 1040 Federal tax return and W2s. Electronic signatures for the CCPG application are available for dependent student’s parents.

  • Method A – designed for students on public assistance programs: TANF/CalWORKs, SSI/SSP (Supplemental Security Income/State Supplemental Program), SSAI, SSAS, or General Assistance. Certification must be obtained from the appropriate agency and documentation will be required to verify your eligibility. Most documentation must be dated within the last 60 days. Students apply for this method through myGateway.
  • Method B – designed for low-income students whose PPY (prior prior year) income was within qualifying income guidelines. Students apply for this method through myGateway. Federal tax returns may be required.
  • Method C – awarded to students who applied through the FAFSA or Dream Act application and demonstrate a financial need of $1,104 or more. Students who qualify under Method C do not need to complete a separate CCPG application via myGateway.
  • Method D – designed for students under the age of 25 who can verify that they have been without residence (homeless) in the last 24 months. They will select “yes” on the application in myGateway and provide proof to the Financial Aid Office for verification.
  • Method F – designed for Dependents of Disabled or Deceased California Veterans or National Guard, recipients and children of recipients of the Congressional Medal of Honor, or dependents of victims of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attack. Certification must be obtained from the appropriate agency and documentation will be required to verify your eligibility. Most documentation must be dated within the last 60 days.

Additional Information

  • The Financial Aid office reviews your application.
  • You must be a California resident.
  • The CCPG will cover fall, winter, spring, and summer semesters.
  • The CCPG only covers enrollment fees, it is not a book award or book grant, and it is not a loan.
  • If you apply for the CCPG after you pay your fees, you may be reimbursed, as long as you complete and submit your application prior to the end of the semester. Reimbursement comes in the form of a check in the mail from the Bursars office.
  • If a student is determined later to have been ineligible for a CCPG who was already awarded, the CCPG will be automatically cancelled and the fees reassessed to the student’s account.

Requirements for the CCPG Fee Waiver

The CCPG requires students to meet Academic and Progress Standards:

  • Academic Standard: a CCPG recipient must maintain a cumulative 2.0 GPA or higher.
  • Progress Standard: a student must complete more than 50% of cumulative courses attempted.

All students must maintain both standards to continue to receive the CCPG. If these standards are not met for two consecutive semesters, then the students will lose their CCPG eligibility. Current and former foster youth 24 years old or younger are exempt from the Academic and Progress standards.


Cal Grants

Cal Grants are offered by the State of California and administered by the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC). Like Pell Grants, Cal Grants do not have to be repaid. Cal Grants are available for undergraduate students who are enrolled in at least six units per semester and who have not earned a bachelor’s or a professional degree – unless pursuing the Bachelor’s Degree in Funeral Service at Cypress College. You may not receive Cal Grant funds from more than one college at a time. To apply for a Cal Grant, you will need to complete the FAFSA or the CA Dream Act Application.

How to Apply

To apply for a Cal Grant, you must submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or Dream Act application by March 2 each year. You must also submit a GPA Verification Form to the state on or before March 2 each year. If you are a current student at Cypress College and have completed at least 16 units at Cypress College, we will electronically submit your GPA verification. Community Colleges have a second deadline to submit a GPA verification on September 2 each year. This will allow students who complete 16 units after summer semester to apply for a Cal Grant.

There are four types of Cal Grants that a student might receive at Cypress College:

  1. Cal Grant A — designed for students transferring to a four-year college/university in California. If you receive a Cal Grant A, you will not receive funds while at Cypress College, unless you are pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Funeral Service. Your Cal Grant A will be placed on reserve by the state for up to two years until you transfer to a four-year college. You can confirm this information by logging into your WebGrants account.
  2. Cal Grant B Entitlement — designed for financially needy students who graduated from high school and who meet the grade point average and family income asset requirements as determined by the CSAC. Cal Grant B pays up to $1,648 per year while you are attending Cypress College.
  3. Cal Grant B Competitive — designed for students who meet the academic, family, income, and disadvantaged background requirements as determined by the CSAC. Cal Grant B pays up to $1,648 per year while you are attending Cypress College.
  4. Cal Grant C — designed for two-year vocational students. This grant is available for up to two years. If you qualify for this grant, please log into your WebGrants account and submit the online Cal Grant C Supplemental Form by the specified deadline.

How will I know if I’m awarded a Cal Grant?

If you file a FAFSA or Dream Act application and the GPA verification was submitted to the CSAC, you will receive a Cal Grant notification letter directly from the CSAC.

Once Cypress College receives the Cal Grant roster from the CSAC, we will confirm your eligibility prior to awarding and disbursing your Cal Grant.

Can I switch and receive different types of Cal Grant?

No. Once you have received your Cal Grant (A, B, or C), you cannot change your type of Cal Grant in the following years.

If you don’t want to receive your Cal Grant and save it – you can request a “Leave of Absence” for up to 2 years. This can be done through WebGrants 4 Students.

Student Success Completion Grant (SSCG)

The Full Time Student Success Grant (FTSSG) and the Community College Completion Grant (CCCG) has combined into one award named the Student Success Completion Grant (SSCG).

The amount of SSCG has increased for the 2022-23 aid year!

Cal Grant recipients may be eligible to receive up to $8,000 per year. Each semester’s disbursement will be based on the student’s enrollment, which must be at least full-time in order to receive a disbursement. Students enrolled in 12 units or more (but less than 15 units) will be eligible to receive $1,298 for the semester. Students enrolled in 15 or more units will be eligible to receive $4,000 for the semester.

Eligible students for this grant must meet all of the following requirements:

  1. Must be receiving a Cal Grant Award
  2. Must enroll in 12 or more units per semester by the “Freeze Date
  3. Must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress. View the CC SAP Policy.

Students who qualified for the SSCG are encouraged to meet with their academic counselor to ensure that they have a comprehensive Student Education Plan and are on track to complete their program within the timeframe outlined in the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.

Click this link for more information: Student Success Completion Grant.

Golden State Education and Training Grant Program

The Golden State Education and Training Grant Program (GSETGP) supports Californians who lost their jobs due to the COVID-19 pandemic with a one-time grant of $2,500 to reskill, up-skill, and access educational or training programs to get back into the workforce.

Who is eligible? Students who:

  • were displaced from employment due to the COVID-19 pandemic
  • were not enrolled in a training program or institution of higher education at the time they were displaced from employment
  • have been unable to obtain employment that provides an average monthly wage that is equal to or greater than the average monthly wage received from their employment prior to the COVID-19 pandemic
  • meet the income and asset criteria to be eligible for a Cal Grant A award
  • are enrolled in a qualified education or training program, including at any California community college, California State University or University of California.

How do I apply? 

Students can apply online by logging into their CSAC Account. If you do not have an account, please create one using the “first time user” registration option.

Though the completion of the FAFSA/California Dream Act Application is not needed for this program, we encourage students enrolling in college to complete the FAFSA or Dream Act application to qualify for any additional financial assistance. 

How will I know if I’m awarded?

Once applicants apply and are found to meet the program requirements, Cypress College Financial Aid Office will verify that you are enrolled and a check will be issued within 6 weeks to our office. An eligible individual may request and receive only one GSETG award. Eligible applicants will be awarded $2,500.

Who do I contact if I have additional questions?

You can email the California Student Aid Commission.

Chafee Grant

The Chafee Grant is available for former foster youth students who were in foster care between the ages of 16-18 years old. Eligible students must submit a one-time Chafee Grant application at and submit a FAFSA or CA Dream Act application. Students must claim this award before you reach your 26th birthday as of July 1 of the award year. Please check your eligibility on your WebGrants account.

Support Services for our Students

WebGrants 4 Students (WGS)

WebGrants 4 Students (WGS) is your portal for Cal Grant, Chafee and Middle Class Scholarship awards. The California Student Aid Commission contacts students via email so it is critical that you keep this information current on your WGS account.